[ecrea] Radio Conference 2013 confirms Bruce Girard as Keynote

Thu Nov 08 03:16:22 GMT 2012

I am delighted to be able to confirm that Bruce Girard will be joining
us for The Radio Conference a Transnational Forum, 9-12 July 2013.
Bruce's work will be familiar to many of you, as he was an early
activist for AMARC and most recently wrote the report which instigated
World Radio Day 13 February. A brief bio is below.

 Can I also remind you that this Friday 9th November is the deadline for
the call for papers for the conference. We have had many high quality
abstracts submitted and the team of reviews have enjoyed reading them.
If it is still on your list to do this week, please don't delay.

 We are letting the first round of authors know as rapidly as we can so
you can apply for funds and book travel.  We should have got back to you
within the next week.

 I am looking forwards to meeting you all next July if not before.

 Best wishes,

 Janey Gordon

 Bruce Girard biography,

Bruce Girard has extensiveexperience in radio, journalism, research and
international development. He isalso a researcher, writer and educator
active in development communication andcommunication rights issues. He
is currently director of Fundación Comunica,based in Uruguay. In 2011
Girard and Seán Ó Siochrú conducted a study forUNESCO which paved the
way to declaration of 13 February as World Radio Day.
 Bruce Girard first becameinterested in alternative radio while
travelling in Latin America in the early'80s. In 1986 he organised the
2nd World Conference of Community RadioBroadcasters in Vancouver and
over the next ten years contributed to thecreation and consolidation of
the World Association of Community RadioBroadcasters – AMARC – opening
the association's first office in Montreal andworking at conference
hosts in Nicaragua, Ireland, Mexico and Senegal.
 He has had a particularinterest in the use of radio in combination with
digital technologies, foundingan internet based radio news agency in
1996, organising three internationalconferences on the subject and
editing a book about radio and new ICTs for theFood and Agriculture
Organization of the United Nations (FAO), as well aspublishing several
studies, articles and book chapters.
 He has published widely onvarious aspects of communication including,
APassion for Radio, one of the first examinations of community
radiointernationally (1992), Global MediaGovernance (2002), The One to
Watch:Radio ICTs and interactivity (2003), Communicatingin the
Information Society (2003) and Impact2.0: New mechanisms for linking
research and policy (2012).

Dr Janey Gordon
Radio LaB 97.1 co ordinator
University of Bedfordshire

MeCCSA is the subject association for the field of media, communication and cultural studies in UK Higher Education. Membership is open to all who teach and research these subjects in HE institutions, via either institutional or individual membership. The field includes film and TV production, journalism, radio, photography, creative writing, publishing, interactive media and the web; and it includes higher education for media practice as well as for media studies.

This mailing list is a free service from MeCCSA and is not restricted to members.

For further information, please visit:http://www.meccsa.org.uk/