Archive for calls, November 2015

[ecrea] CFP: Cinema Journal Teaching Dossier: Integrating Production into Media Theory/History Courses

Thu Nov 19 00:01:34 GMT 2015

  Cinema Journal Teaching Dossier CFP:The integration of production and
  theory/history in Cinema and Media Studies courses

    *Call for Proposals: *

    *The integration of production and theory/history in Cinema and
    Media Studies courses*

*Deadline: December 15, 2015*

Among the challenges confronting those of us teaching history/theory
courses in Cinema and Media Studies is a relatively new set of
interrelated questions which, if we oversimplify, boil down to: Should I
incorporate production assignments in the syllabus?  How do I
incorporate them?  And, what exactly constitutes production?  The rise
of videography and its recent academic canonization through the
peer-reviewed outlet /[In]Transition/ make such questions all the more
pressing. Indeed, the time has come to pool our pedagogic
energies–collect our thoughts and share our experiences–on the
integration of production with theory/history in our syllabi.

Some of the questions and hypotheses to be examined in the forthcoming
issue of the /Cinema Journal Teaching Dossie/r can be, but are not
limited to:

  * What are the pedagogic reasons behind the perceived need to
    incorporate production in theory/history courses?
  * How do we define production, or what does “production” look like in
    theory and history courses?
  * As more and more job listings stress the desirability of
    scholar-practitioners or at the very least scholars who would feel
    comfortable teaching production elements in their classes, how do we
    educate ourselves for this kind of market?
  * In times of rampant neoliberal pragmatism in higher education, is it
    possible that what motivates the perception of such a need to
    integrate production into historical and theoretical classes is also
    a matter of competition?  In other words, how do we keep enrollments
    in non-production classes on par with production classes?
  * In what ways is the integration of production into history and
    theory courses a fantastic pedagogic opportunity?  Does it mean we
    de-emphasize writing?  What are the consequences of such a de-emphasis?
  * What is happening at your school?  Does it have two tracks?  What is
    the synergy between them?
  * What are the roadblocks to integrating production elements into your
    courses?
  * How do you train graduate students or help them integrate production
    into their teaching?
  * How have you integrated production into your theory and history
    courses?  What projects have you used successfully?

We invite proposals addressing these and other topics relevant to the
integration of theory/history and production.  Submit a 250-word
abstract for a proposed 1500-word essay, briefly describing the essay
topic, and a 150-word biography to Chera Kee ((chera.d.kee /at/ gmail.com)
<mailto:(chera.d.kee /at/ gmail.com)>) and Maurizio Viano ((mviano /at/ wellesley.edu)
<mailto:(mviano /at/ wellesley.edu)>) by Decembert 15, 2015.  The completed
essay (including all images and links) will be due by January 23 2016.

For more information, visit the Cinema Journal Teaching Dossier CFP at:
http://www.teachingmedia.org/cinema-journal-teaching-dossier-cfpthe-integration-of-production-and-theoryhistory-in-cinema-and-media-studies-courses/