Archive for publications, 2014

[ecrea] New book: Agency and Media Reception. Experiencing Video Games, Film, and Television

Sat Mar 01 03:15:31 GMT 2014

New Book:

Agency and Media Reception. Experiencing Video Games, Film, and Television.
by Susanne Eichner

About the book:
What happens to our sense of agency, our general ability to perform actions in our lifeworlds, in the course of media reception and appropriation? Whilst considering media communication as a special form of social action, this work reconsiders the key concepts of social action theory, pragmatism, communication theory, as well as film, game, and television theory. It thus integrates agency as the key to understanding 'doing media' and at the same time conceptualizes agency as a specific mode of involvement across media boundaries. This approach amalgamates miscellaneous ideas and conceptions such as interactivity, participation, cognitive control, play or empowerment and applies the theoretical considerations on the basis of textual analyses of the films /Inception/ and /The Proposal/, the TV shows /Lost/ and /I'm a Celebrity/ and the video games /Grand Theft Auto IV/, and /The Walking Dead/.

Contents:
-Agency Interdisciplinary
-Interactivity and Play
-From Media Use to Doing Media
-Agency as a Mode of Involvement
-Levels and Points of Agency
-Textuality and Agency -- Exemplary Analyses
-The Quality of Agency in the Media

Reihe: Film, Fernsehen, Medienkultur. Springer VS, 2014.
1. Auflage 01/2014, 250p, ISBN 978-3-658-04673-6, 41,64 EUR (D)
Springer-Link: http://www.springer.com/new+%26+forthcoming+titles+%28default%29/book/978-3-658-04672-9

Dr. phil. Susanne Eichner
mobile +49 (0) 172 - 9488369
http://saneichner.wordpress.com/

***
Neu erschienen:
Susanne Eichner: Agency and Media Reception. Experiencing Video Games, Film, and Television.
****