Archive for publications, February 2014

[ecrea] New book - Bachmann-Medick, Doris: The Trans/National Study of Culture

Tue Feb 25 15:25:44 GMT 2014

Bachmann-Medick, Doris (2014):  The Trans/National Study of Culture. A Translational Perspective. Berlin, Boston: de Gruyter.

Contents:

Doris Bachmann-Medick
The Trans/National Study of Culture: A Translational Perspective | 1

Ansgar Nünning
Towards Transnational Approaches to the Study of Culture: From Cultural
Studies and Kulturwissenschaften to a Transnational Study of Culture | 23

I. Conceptualizations and Histories

Dipesh Chakrabarty
Place and Displaced Categories, or How We Translate Ourselves into Global
Histories of the Modern | 53

Jon Solomon
The Transnational Study of Culture and the Indeterminacy of People(s) and
Language(s) | 69

Andreas Langenohl
Scenes of Encounter: A Translational Approach to Travelling Concepts in the
Study of Culture | 93

Doris Bachmann-Medick
From Hybridity to Translation: Reflections on Travelling Concepts | 119

Matthias Middell
Is there a Timetable when Concepts Travel? On Synchronicity in the Emergence
of New Concepts Dealing with Border-Crossing Phenomena | 137

Christina Lutter
What Do We Translate when We Translate? Context, Process, and Practice as
Categories of Cultural Analysis | 155

II. Knowledge Systems and Discursive Fields

Boris Buden
Translation and the East: There is No Such Thing as an -Eastern European Study
of Culture' | 171

Christa Knellwolf King
Australian Cultural Studies: Intellectual Traditions and Critical
Perspectives | 181

Rainer Winter
Cultural Studies: Critical Methodologies and the Transnational
Challenge | 201

Thomas Weber
Translating -Media' and -Communication': National Assignment and
Transnational Misunderstanding | 223

Birgit Mersmann
D/Rifts between Visual Culture and Image Culture: Relocations of the
Transnational Study of the Visual | 237

Notes on Contributors | 261
Index | 267