Archive for publications, November 2011

[ecrea] YECREA special issue of Platform published

Wed Nov 30 19:32:53 GMT 2011

Dear young scholars,

We are happy to let you know that the YECREA special issue of Platform: Journal of media and communication has been published.

The special issue is based on young scholars' work presented at the European Communication Conference in Hamburg in 2010. It includes four articles and a report of the workshop on Planning an academic career held in Hamburg.

More info is below.

Best wishes,

Alenka, Julie and Benjamin

+++

The latest issue of Platform: Journal of Media and Communication is now online at http://journals.culture-communication.unimelb.edu.au/platform. Platform is a fully refereed, open access online journal which publishes work by graduate students and early career researchers in media and communications and related disciplines. It is edited by graduate students at the School of Culture and Communication, University of Melbourne, Australia.

This issue is a special edition of the journal, guest edited by Benjamin de Cleen, Alenka Jelen and Julie Uldam from the Young Scholars Network of the European Communication Research and Education Association (YECREA). It is based on the young scholar work presented at the 2010 ECREA European Communication Conference in Hamburg.

The table of contents is as follows:

1. Editorial
By Benjamin De Cleen, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium; Alenka Jelen, University of Central Lancashire, U.K.; and Julie Uldam, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark.

2. Electronic Sport: How pro-gaming negotiates territorial belonging and gender
By Janina Maric, University of Erfurt, Germany

3. Did we ignore the social commentary? Responding to Borat on YouTube
By Martins Kaprans, University of Latvia

4. Public service television’s different ways of dealing with a changed media landscape: A comparison of pre­election program formats on Dutch­speaking and French­speaking Belgian public television.
By Eva De Smedt, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium; and Anouk Bouckaert, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium (Research Fellow of the Belgian National Fund for Scientific Research)

5. Digital Media as Classified and Classifying: The Case of Young Men in Sweden
By Martin Danielsson, Halmstad University, Sweden

6. Planning an academic career: A report on a YECREA panel at the Third European Communication Conference, Hamburg, 2010
By Julie Uldam, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark; and Ranjana Das, London School of Economics and Political Science, U.K.

You can view the full issue online at http://journals.culture-communication.unimelb.edu.au/platform. For more information about YECREA, please visit http:www.yecrea.eu.

********* Contribute to Platform! *********

Platform is currently seeking contributions for its upcoming issue of the journal, Vol 4 Issue 1, due for publication in mid-2012. This will be a general issue, so we welcome submission of articles between 6,000 - 8,000 words relating to the field of media and communications or related disciplines. To submit or for more information, please contact our chief editor, Luke van Ryn, at (platformjmc /at/ gmail.com).

We are also looking for people to contribute as editors and guest editors of special themed issues of the journal relating to their research. We welcome expressions of interest from postgraduate (Masters or PhD) level researchers, either doing work in media studies or with an interest in issues around media and communications or academic publishing. Please contact our journal manager, Dale Leorke: (dleorke /at/ gmail.com) for more information.