Archive for publications, November 2011

[ecrea] The 2011 Music Issue & CD from Southern Cultures

Wed Nov 30 19:32:12 GMT 2011

Southern Cultures has just released our fifth Music Issue--in print, online, and in eBook formats--including an enhanced Kindle edition that includes all the tracks from this year's free CD, which features the Avett Brothers, Doc and Merle Watson, and a blend of many more new and classic Southern artists.

This year's Music Issue also includes:

The tell-all letter from a teenage girl who kissed--and kissed--Elvis Presley;
How corruption and greed made the Jacksonville music scene;
Nadine Hubbs on Gretchen Wilson, country music's "Redneck Woman";
The invaluable social spaces of African American record stores;
Behind the scenes with Bobby Rush, "bluesman-plus";
Where Opryland resides in hearts, minds, and souls;
Backstage snapshots and stories with the Avett Brothers, Doc Watson, Tift Merritt, Southern Culture on the Skids, the Carolina Chocolate Drops, Johnny Cash, and other great musicians;
and more.

We've also just updated our online content in numerous subject areas. Over 50,000 people annually read Southern Cultures online, including scholars and students of cultural studies, history, American studies, literature, pop culture, sociology, political science, women&  gender, photography&  art, environment, religion, and many other subjects and fields. To browse our essays online, please visit:
http://www.southerncultures.org/content/read/

To read the new Music issue, get information about the free CD, or download it all, please visit:
www.southerncultures.org

Thank you.

Best,

Dave Shaw
Executive Editor, Southern Cultures
UNC's Center for the Study of the American South
CB# 9127, UNC-CH
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-9127
www.SouthernCultures.org