[ecrea] PLAY/REWIND -- Communication Graduate Conference

Thu Nov 12 23:30:58 GMT 2015

http://carletoncgc.com/upcoming-events-lectures/cfps/

Carleton University's Communication Graduate Conference is pleased to
announce our 11th annual conference: PLAY/REWIND.

The conference will be held March 3rd-4th, 2016, in Carleton
University's picturesque River Building.

Call for papers:

To understand the present and shape the future, we must confront and
critique the past. Our 11th annual conference, Play/Rewind, invites
explorations in communication that look backward to move forward. When
we invite ‘play’ into communication we get a sense of
lightheartedness, of fun, and of spectacle. Play suggests
malleability, change, and transformation. Yet beneath this frivolity
are anxieties over our increasingly myopic and entertainment-minded
society.

We rewind to consider what has come before. New discoveries emerge
from the gaps and missed connections of previous ones. To rewind is to
remember; to replay, to search for what was missed, to consider what
came before. Between the moment of rewind and play is ‘pause’ – a
state in which we can critically reflect before moving on to new
discoveries, new experiences, and the next part of the story.

Both of the concepts of ‘play’ and ‘rewind’ could stand on their own,
but when working in tandem they operate as a give and take of ideas.
An exchange. They ask questions of our present and future, while
recalling the past that paved the way.

The conference theme, Play/Rewind, encourages submissions examining a
broad range of topics and themes, such as a rethink of history or
performance studies, the politics of play, digital activism, emergent
technologies, or digital and social media. Other examples of themes
and issues that paper presentations may address include:

•   Entertainment, spectacle, and ludology

•   Remediation, intertextuality, and transmedia analysis

•   Creative and cultural industries, cultural and media policy,
ideology and practice

•   Representation and identity

•   Relationship between the self and communication technology

•   Memory and identity

We welcome 250-word abstract proposals for individual paper
presentations and panels. Panel proposals should include both a
250-word abstract for the panel, explaining how it relates to the
conference theme, and a 250-word abstract for the paper.

The annual Attallah Lecture will take place during the conference,
featuring Dr. Mia Consalvo, Canada Research Chair in Game Studies and
Design at Concordia University, and author of Cheating: Gaining
Advantage in Video Games. Dr. Consalvo runs the mLab, which is
developing innovative methods for studying games and game players, and
is the President of the Digital Games Research Association.

Please send your 250-word abstract and panel proposals to
(cgc /at/ carleton.ca) byJANUARY 02, 2016. Include “CGC conference
submission” in the email subject line.

Upon abstract acceptance, students are encouraged to submit their
papers for the Canadian Journal of Communication Student Paper Prize.
To be considered for the prize, the full paper must be submitted by
February 12th, 2016.

http://carletoncgc.com/upcoming-events-lectures/cfps/