[ecrea] BAFTSS Conference CFP

Tue Oct 06 22:03:17 GMT 2015

This is just a reminder of the coming deadline on OCTOBER 14^th for
BAFTSS 2016 proposals at Reading. All are welcome and so far we have
received some exiting proposals. The conference will be preceded on the
morning of the 14^th April with a PGR Special Event, led by Reading’s
JAMS PGR network and other sessions in the conference will be tagged as
JAMS panels. JAMS will be issuing a separate announcement for their
event in due course. We would like to ensure everyone is aware that
whilst we have a theme, this should not put you off from submitting a
paper or panel on another topic.

*BAFTSS 2016 University of Reading April 14-16 2016*

Call for Papers

*Trans/media: Trans/national Screens*

Individual and Panel Proposals are invited for the April 2016 BAFTSS
conference at the University of Reading. At a time when distinctions
between national boundaries and between media platforms are increasingly
fluid, we wish to interrogate the many ‘in-betweens’ that this fluidity
gives rise to. We also want to embrace the very concept of how not only
form but identity is in a state of flux and transports us from one
position to another. Keynote speakers (*John Akomfrah, director of /The
Stuart Hall Project,/ will be accepting the Lifetime Achievement Award
for 2016*) embrace and question these spaces and networks and, as more
academic works from a new generation of screen analysts who identify
with neither old nor new media come to the forefront, being trans- seems
to encapsulate post-postmodernity. Examples of topics can be found
below, but papers are invited examining all screen forms and subjects
beyond the thematic list below.

·Transmedia

·Adaptation

·Transnational stars

·International television and the impact of the contemporary epic

·Questioning national identities

·European identities

·Policy, Regulation and Funding

·Transnational genres on all screen platforms

·Trans… identities

·Transnational versus international

·Historical transnationality (e.g. early cinema, émigré directors and
performers, industry collaborations)

*To submit a proposal, email Anna Claydon (ateac14 /at/ le.ac.uk)
<mailto:(eac14 /at/ le.ac.uk)>for a proposal form*. The deadline for proposals
in October 14th 2015. Proposals will be reviewed and decisions
communicated during December.

We aim to keep the conference fee as low as we can and there will be a
substantial discount for PGR, non-salaried and retired conference
attendees but the conference fee (which will not include accommodation
or the conference dinner) will not be announced until we have a rough
idea of numbers based on paper submissions and can set the price
accordingly.

To present at BAFTSS you must be a member. Membership runs January to
December; you can join atwww.baftss.org <http://www.baftss.org/>using
PayPal.

All best wishes

Anna

BAFTSS Conference Committee Co-Chair and BAFTSS Treasurer

*Dr. E. Anna Claydon
College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities PGT Manager, *

*Director of IDeoGRAMS,*

*Lecturer in Media and Communication*

**

Department of Media and Communication
University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK

*t:*+44 (0)116 252 2089
*e:*(eac14 /at/ le.ac.uk)/(e.anna.claydon /at/ gmail.com)
<mailto:(eac14 /at/ le.ac.uk)/(e.anna.claydon /at/ gmail.com)>
*w:*www.le.ac.uk <http://www.le.ac.uk/>