[ecrea] CFP - Viewing Politics and the Politics of Viewing - Visuality, Resolution, and Digital Technologies

Thu May 21 22:20:40 GMT 2015

*Viewing Politics and the Politics of Viewing - Visuality,
Resolution, and Digital Technologies

As subjects within a digitizing world, we both view and are viewed
through the various lenses that bring our daily lives into focus. These
actions make spaces intelligible, help us connect with friends and
colleagues, and help us pass the time. While new technologies both help
with and condition how we organize and manage our daily lives, they also disrupt, impose, and enable new forms of socio-technical relations. Their shaping of the field of possibilities manifests through the targeting, technification and digitization of material, social, and political spaces.

This panel explores the socio-political effects of these means by
thinking through the discourses, understandings, and uses of particular
(digital) technologies. Focusing on digital visual mediums such as
games, satellites, or imaging, panelists ask how using these
technologies to view the earth, its landscapes and inhabitants,
destabilizes the nature of what it means to be the viewer, viewed or
both. This panel invites papers that critically reflect upon the ways
that imaging technologies are both limits on, and generative of, the
politics of space and management of territory.

Example keywords - technology; satellites; games; viewing; targeting;
political geography; surveillance; biopolitics

*Please email abstracts of no more than 200 words to Sandra Yao at
(sandra.yao /at/ uottawa.ca) <mailto:(sandra.yao /at/ uottawa.ca)> no later than May
28th.*
--

Sandra J. Yao

PhD Candidate, School of Political Studies, University of Ottawa

Candidate au doctorat, École d'études politiques. Université d'Ottawa