[ecrea] CfP #Neoliberation - Cultural Studies Conference @ Goldsmiths, 9-10 June

Sat Mar 21 17:01:01 GMT 2015

#Neoliberation: The Self in the Era of New Media

Conference at the Centre for Cultural Studies, Goldsmiths, University of London

9-10 June 2015

We invite proposals for a two-day conference, “#Neoliberation: The Self in the Era of New Media”, to be held on 9th and 10th of June 2015.

CALL FOR PROPOSALS -- DEADLINE: 20th APRIL 2015

Is liberation passé? Or has liberation, in light of the potentialities offered by a spectrum of new media, gained new relevance as a concept and ideal - in other words, are we seeing the emergence of a “neoliberation”? The proliferation of new media primarily, but not exclusively, conditioned by the popularity and spread of the internet, has fundamentally changed the world in which we are situated when it comes to social relations, community, politics and the forming of the self. This new landscape, which we, as a global community, are now a part of, conditions and enables our thinking about questions concerning the self, identity and emancipation.

How do language, media and technology bring about contemporary understandings of who we are? What, indeed, is new about “new media” - if anything at all? How does the proliferation of media interact with a neoliberal capitalist economy and, given this context, how can we conceive of emancipation? What political potentialities are contained in new media, and how do they express themselves (for example in feminist and postcolonial movements)? In other words, is liberation still, or again, possible, or is this “neoliberation” simply a myth recounted by a curated neoliberal self?

The conference #Neoliberation will set the stage for a conversation regarding these questions and open up a discussion of the academic understanding of concepts such as self, subjectivity, identity and emancipation within a 21st-century media setting. We welcome the submission of papers, pieces (art, poetry and prose) and performances which relate to the questions posed above and possibly, but not exclusively, to the following topics:

* Radical politics/Freedom/Liberation of the self
* Self-consumption/Commodification of the self
* Social media/Social networks
* Feminism/“pop” feminism
* Postcolonial theory/Indigenous politics/Third World feminism
* Queerness/Embodiment/Affect
* Identity politics/Politics of recognition/Multiculturalism
* New social movements
* Generation Y
* Media/New media/Post media
* Visual and aural cultures
* Space and critical geography

Please send proposals to (neoliberation /at/ gmail.com), indicating the relevant stream in the subject line. Submissions should be no more than 300 words and should be received by the deadline of 20th April. Please include a short bio (with your email address and, where applicable, institutional affiliation) of no more than 100 words.