[ecrea] Call for Articles - The mediated society: Living and working with immersive media technologies

Wed Feb 04 22:08:41 GMT 2015

FINAL REMINDER: Call for Articles

The mediated society: Living and working with immersive media technologies

Deadline for Articles: 16. March 2015

We are happy to accept articles for the peer-reviewed, interdisciplinary Yearbook of Immersive Media (Jahrbuch immersiver Medien). The 2015 issue is entitled “The mediated society: Living and working with immersive media technologies“.

The catchphrase of the “all embracing media” can be related the ubiquitous media in our daily life, but also to the fact that there seems to be more and more media, which actually immerse the users in a physical way. Such innovative media technologies are used in research and development, science and entertainment, but their paradigms of use are not nearly explored yet.

Because the media evolution progresses rapidly, we are forced to integrate new technologies into our life world, and it seems to make sense, to reflect and to anticipate this development scientific and conceptually. In the course of this we can only guess how the media of the future will look and work. However, reflections from media theory or feasibility studies like the Illumiroom by Samsung and Microsoft or Movies like Minority Report (2002), Gamer (2009) or Prometheus (2012), are showing us today what we might can expect from future media. But some immersive media technologies and aesthetic strategies of immersion are already present in almost all areas of our present daily life - in the entertainment sector, in teaching and research, in medicine or in our own living rooms.

The yearbook of immersive media is a peer-reviewed interdisciplinary publication aimed at an international academic readership. The Yearbook invites to send articles dealing with themes like sound design, movie, virtual reality, augmented reality, gaming and game studies, Transmedia storytelling etc. applied to the concept of immersive experiences or media technologies.

Submitted articles must be original contributions that engage with the reflection of the (r)evolution of immersive media, the anticipation and design of new media technologies and applications or other related issues. Contributions should be 5000 to 8000 words in length. Please send an abstract, a brief biographical information and contact details and your article to Prof. Dr. Patrick Rupert-Kruse via: (immersive-medien /at/ fh-kiel.de). The deadline for articles is the 16. March 2015. A style sheet can be obtained through our website at www.immersive-medien.de.