Archive for calls, May 2015

[ecrea] Alternative Compensation Systems for Digital Copyright symposium

Tue May 19 00:40:28 GMT 2015

**

*The Institute for Information Law (IViR) at the University of Amsterdam
invites you to a high-level symposium on alternative modes of regulating
large-scale non-commercial online uses of copyrighted works.*

A multidisciplinary research group at IViR has spent the last two years
conducting a large-scale empirical study of Alternative Compensation
Systems (ACS), which, for a small monthly fee would authorize
non-commercial online uses by individuals, including the downloading and
sharing of protected works (such as music, films, and books), while
compensating rights holders.

Our results suggest that consumers are dissatisfied with the currently
available legal access channels, and consequently, different forms of
ACS are supported by the majority of the Dutch population. Our results
show that an ACS, if implemented, would provide extra revenues to music
and possibly to audio-visual rights holders as compared to the status
quo. Our project also proved that it is possible to include lay people
in highly complex copyright policy decisions.

On **Saturday, 11^th of July, 2015, **we will present our results, and
discuss the implications of our findings in three high-profile panels.

Internationally renowned experts and decision makers, such as

  * //Christophe Geiger// (CEIPI, University of Strasbourg);
  * //Daniel Gervais// (Vanderbilt Intellectual Property Program);
  * //Ian Hargreaves// (Cardiff University);
  * //Jim Killock (//Open Rights Group);
  * //Julia Reda// (MEP);
  * //Agustín Reyna (BEUC);//
  * //Jacqueline Seignette// (ALAI);
  * //Christiaan Alberdingk Thijm// (Brandeis);
  * //Andy Zondervan// (Buma/Stemra)

will discuss the legal, economic and political implications of an
alternative compensation system in the context of copyright reform in
the EU digital single market.

The detailed program will soon be available at http://ivir.nl/acs-symposium.

Participation is free of charge but registration is required. If you
wish attend, please send an email with your name, affiliation and
address to **(acs_symposium /at/ uva.nl) <mailto:(acs_symposium /at/ uva.nl)>.**

**The Institute for Information Law (IViR)**
Bernt Hugenholtz <http://www.ivir.nl/medewerkerpagina/hugenholtz>,
Balázs Bodó <http://www.ivir.nl/medewerkerpagina/bodo>, Joao Pedro
Quintais <http://www.ivir.nl/medewerkerpagina/quintais>, Christian
Handke <http://www.ivir.nl/medewerkerpagina/handke>, Pep Vallbé