Archive for calls, October 2012

[ecrea] CFP: Cultural workers: Mediations and sociocultural movements (Teknokultura journal)

Wed Oct 24 22:01:49 GMT 2012

CALL FOR PAPERS TEKNOKULTURA JOURNAL (DEC 2012)

CULTURAL WORKERS: MEDIATIONS AND SOCIOCULTURAL MOVEMENTS

Online CFP: http://teknokultura.net/index.php/tk/announcement/view/22

In light of new economic and technocratic interventions and in the context of further social and cultural downsizing and financial cuts, this issue joins other initiatives which from the standpoint of activism and social mobilization have been able to identify and organize around a number of concerns in urgent need of attention. By calling on cultural workers (teachers, artists, researchers, activists, cultural associations, journalists, social workers ...), Teknokultura hopes to organize and mobilize the individualized uneasiness of cultural workers, a collective as diffuse as it is broad, as capable as it is fragmented, in order to confront the adverse and apparently overwhelming circumstances of recent years. Against the progressive buying and selling of a culture transformed into commodity, exalted by the withdrawal of the State and the public sphere, we also want to render visible the idea that culture is a right and a basic means of socialization and social participation. This is a common point of departure from which we interpellate ourselves and our audience as part of a wider community of cultural workers.
From this editorial position we encourage the exploration of the
following practices, cases and initiatives, together with their analysis and theorizing, in different cultural and institutional contexts: • Practices that refuse to understand as purely personal concerns wider institutional, economic and social issue and relations. It is important to emphasize the personal and collective benefits derived from these "refusals". • Analyses that illustrate in rigorous ways the ability to activate new or already existing affinities or networks in adverse institutional environments without necessarily appealing to strong notions of militancy or full time activism. Again, it is important to emphasize the personal and group benefits that can be derived from these initiatives • Examples of solidarity and mutual aid of groups and collectives that have been able to activate alternative forms of "welfare and social support" and that may be considered as paradigmatic examples for future initiatives. • Case studies about cognitive workers or forms of immaterial work (academics, intellectuals, journalists, cultural critics ...) which have felt the need to turn to more "tangible" issues with more “material” effects, and the way this material turn has affected their own intellectual/immaterial work and politics. In harmony with our editorial approach, we seek original and unpublished work, preferably based on rigorous research and analysis, not just from academics and intellectual workers, but also from social movements, activists, neighbourhood movements, rural experiences and associative urban experiences, whether local, national or international. Indeed, we invite contributions from all those spaces where sociocultural mediations and capitals are moving towards more sustainable social changes and orders. In addition to conventional articles, Teknokultura publishes other formats within its diverse sections: 'A des/propósito de...' (dedicated to short essays or critical comments about techno scientific topics and debates), 'Activismo y Movimentos sociales' (‘Activism and Social Movements’), dedicated to a variety of initiatives and experiences supported by social networks, groups and social movements), 'Pantallas' (‘Screens’) (this section is about audiovisual work like videogames, cinema, web projects, etc.); we also have 'Convers-acciones’ (‘Convers-actions’) (including debates and collective interviews on relevant topics around technology and/or social mobilization) and 'Reseñas' (‘Book Reviews’).

Articles should be up to 7000 words in the main section. For other sections, see the Editorial Policies: http://teknokultura.net/index.php/tk/about/editorialPolicies

Submissions are accepted in English and Spanish.

For more information please contact (tk /at/ teknokultura.net)
Coordinators: Sergio D'Antonio, Angel Gordo y Luis Moreno-Caballud

Deadlines
Final articles: NOVEMBER, 30th 2012
Publication date: DECEMBER, 2012

Use the guidelines on our website when preparing a proposal for presentation.
Indicate "Cultural Workers" in the draft

Registration and login are required to submit items online and to check the status of current submissions.

Online Submissions: http://teknokultura.net/index.php/tk/about/submissions

###
-------

Francisco Seoane Perez
Profesor Ayudante / Assistant Professor
Facultad de Periodismo / School of Journalism
Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha (UCLM)
E-mail: (francisco.seoane /at/ uclm.es)
Web: http://www.uclm.es/cu/periodismo/profesorado/franciscoseoane.asp