Archive for publications, 2017

[ecrea] New book: Music From Out There, In Here: 25 Years of the London Jazz Festival new book

Thu Nov 16 23:01:24 GMT 2017

We are pleased to announce the publication of */Music From Out There, In Here: 25 Years of the London Jazz Festival/*/,/ by Emma Webster and George McKay.

Webster and McKay have pieced together a fascinating jigsaw puzzle of archival material, interviews, and stories from musicians, festival staff and fans alike. Including many evocative images, the book weaves together the story of the festival with the history of its home city, London, touching on broader social topics such as gender, race, politics, and the search for the meaning of jazz. They also trace the forgotten history of London as a vibrant city of jazz festivals going back as far as the 1940s. As festival founding director John Cumming says:

‘The meticulous work that follows in this history charts the festival journey across decades, and probes the bigger picture that surrounds it. It’s not just about the music, extraordinary and inspiring as that can be. It’s about the way that what might be seen as a niche area of creative work can reflect and respond to external change – and, we hope, make a difference.’

*/Music From Out There, In Here/*//was researched and written as part of The Impact of Festivals, a 12-month project funded under the AHRC’s Connected Communities Programme, working with research partner organisation the EFG London Jazz Festival. Dr Webster worked as researcher-in-residence at the festival through 2016. Project lead Professor McKay says:

‘We are proud of this collaborative output, and delighted to have worked with the jazz festival on it. They gave us access to their archive, their photographers, and they gave us their time. In telling the 25-year history of the London Jazz Festival we are also uncovering the longer history of jazz festivals in London, from the 1940s and early 1950s, and of London itself as a vibrant, multicultural city of jazz.’

The book is *freely available in pdf and large print formats* via the project and festival websites. You can download it now from https://impactoffestivals.wordpress.com. For libraries and archives, journalists and researchers, festival and industry workers, we also have a small number of paper copies—free—get in touch—first come first served.