Archive for publications, 2017

[ecrea] Journal of Sonic Studies - New issue now available

Tue Jul 04 22:52:21 GMT 2017

We are proud to announce that the 14th issue of the Journal of Sonic Studies (http://sonicstudies.org) is online, which is our first general issue. Although many JSS issues are thematically organized, often with the help and under the responsibility of a guest editor and established without a public call for submissions, we deem it important to publish non-thematic issues every now and then in order to pay close attention to the current state of sound studies affairs. From the very beginning it has also been our aim to provide a platform for scholars and artists who are in the early stages of their (academic and/or artistic) careers. Besides, we have and will continue to attempt to create space for sound studies not primarily rooted in the humanities or social sciences in order to further inter- and transdisciplinary discussion.Against this background, we proudly present JSS 14, containing eight freshly-baked essays from Australia, the UK, the US, and Indonesia. Together they give an overview of how discussions within the domain of sound studies simultaneously affect several other disciplines and discourses.

Journal contents:
• Editorial: Sound Studies and Politics - Vincent Meelberg and Marcel Cobussen, read by Sharon Stewart
•	Audio Acid: Affective Design and the Psychoacoustic Trip - Ryan LaLiberty
• Noise as “Sound out of Place”: Investigating the Links between Mary Douglas’ Work on Dirt and Sound Studies Research - Hugh Pickering and Tom Rice
•	Post-Natural Sound Arts - Mark Peter Wright
• Silencing Urban Exhalations: A Case Study of Student-Led Soundscape Design Interventions - Jordan Lacey • “You Can Hear Them before You See Them”: Listening through Belfast Segregated Neighbourhoods - Nicola Di Croce • The Sounds of Food: Defamiliarization and the Blinding of Taste - Tara Brabazon
•	City Noise : Sound (Art) Disaster - Frans Ari Prasetyo
•	Listening Like White Nationalists at a Civil Rights Rally - Bryce Peake