Archive for publications, 2016

[ecrea] new report: Journalistic Representations of Jeremy Corbyn in the British Press

Wed Jul 13 17:40:45 GMT 2016

Journalistic Representations of Jeremy Corbyn in the British Press
From "Watchdog" to "Attackdog"
Report by Bart Cammaerts, Brooks DeCillia, João Carlos Magalhães, Cesar Jimenez-Martinez

You can download the full report here:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/research/pdf/JeremyCorbyn/Cobyn-Report-FINAL.pdf

Open Democracy blog post about article:
https://opendemocracy.net/uk/bart-cammaerts-brooks-decillia-joa-o-magalha-es-and-ce-sar-jimenez-marti-nez/when-our-watchdog-be

Video on the media representation of Corbyn, produced by Chris Lincé:
https://vimeo.com/173876817

This research project provides a sound and theoretically informed analysis of the various (or unison) media representations of the rise of Jeremy Corbyn as a candidate for the Labour leadership and of him as the new leader of the largest opposition party in the UK. Furthermore, this project also aims to make a contribution to the ongoing public debate regarding the role of mainstream media and of journalists in a media-saturated democracy.

We set out to recognise and acknowledge the legitimate role of the press to critique and challenge the powers that be, which is often encapsulated by the metaphor of the watchdog. Our systematic content analysis of a representative sample of newspaper articles published in 8 national newspapers between 1 September and 1 November 2015, however, shows that the press reacted in a highly transgressive manner to the new leader of the opposition, hence our reference to the attackdog metaphor.

Our analysis shows that Corbyn was thoroughly deligitimated as a political actor from the moment he became a prominent candidate and even more so after he was elected as party leader, with a strong mandate. This process of deligitimation occurred in several ways: 1) through lack of or distortion of voice, 2) through ridicule, scorn and personal attacks and 3) through association, mainly with terrorism.

All this raises, in our view, a number of pressing ethical questions regarding the role of the media in a democracy. Certainly, democracies need their media to challenge power and offer robust debate, but when this transgresses into an antagonism that undermines legitimate political voices that dare to contest the current status quo, then it is not democracy that is served.

Nico Carpentier
Uppsala University
Department of Informatics and Media
Kyrkogårdsgatan 10
753 13 Uppsala
Sweden
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) - Free University of Brussels
&
Charles University in Prague
Media and participation: A site of ideological-democratic struggle
NOW AVAILABLE IN OPEN ACCESS:
https://oapen.org/search?identifier=606390
New article (open access):
Beyond the Ladder of Participation.
An Analytical Toolkit for the Critical Analysis of Participatory Media Processes
Javnost - the Public, Vol 23, Iss 2 (2016)
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13183222.2016.1149760
European Media and Communication Doctoral Summer School
http://www.comsummerschool.org/