Archive for publications, January 2015

[ecrea] Publication: Political Culture and Media Culture

Tue Jan 27 19:41:12 GMT 2015

As another British General election draws near, I would like to draw your attention to the publication, in a paperback edition, of the 2012 book ‘Political Culture and Media Genre’, authors Kay Richardson, John Corner, Katy Parry, publisher Palgrave Macmillan.

In this book, we explore the forms and meanings of mediated politics beyond the news cycle – to the dramas, the sketches, the cartoons, the blogs and more through which politics is mediated to its national audiences. The book has a particular interest in the ways that politics is dramatized, joked about and expressed within the world of entertainment, making an important contribution to the way that political ideas, feelings and values are circulated in society.

A key reference point for our study was the General Election of 2010, when Nick Clegg first came to prominence, where the British first experienced Leaders’ Debates and upon which many cartoonists and columnists exercised their satirical talents. It will be instructive to reflect back on this material in the context of the new political environment – some new political leaders (Ed Miliband), different kinds of proposed ‘debates’, but continuing concerns with national debt, education, the National Health Service, etc.

Thank you for your attention – apologies for the self-promotion.

Kay

Professor Kay Richardson

Head of Department

Department of Communication and Media