Archive for publications, 2014

[ecrea] New Book Announcement: On (Writing) Families

Sun May 18 09:59:58 GMT 2014

New Book Announcement
On (Writing) Families: Autoethnographies of Presence and Absence, Love and Loss

Jonathan Wyatt and I are excited to announce the release of On (Writing) Families: Autoethnographies of Presence and Absence, Love and Loss. This amazing collection includes essays by Mort Mather, Stacy Holman Jones, Craig Gingrich-Philbrook, Patricia Leavy, Desiree Rowe, Liz Bondi, Mark Freeman, Beatrice Allegranti, Anne Harris, Jeannie Wright, Robin Boylorn, Andrew Herrmann, Kitrina Douglas, Jane Speedy, Gunnhildur Una Jonsdottir, Sophie Tamas, and Derek Bolen.

Here's a description of the book: Who are we with—and without—families? How do we relate as children to our parents, as parents to our children? How are parent-child relationships—and familial relationships in general—made and (not) maintained? Informed by narrative, performance studies, poststructuralism, critical theory, and queer theory, contributors to this collection useautoethnography—a method that uses the personal to examine the cultural—to interrogate these questions. The essays write about/around issues of interpersonal distance and closeness, gratitude and disdain, courage and fear, doubt and certainty, openness and secrecy, remembering and forgetting, accountability and forgiveness, life and death. Throughout, family relationships are framed as relationships that inspire and inform, bind and scar—relationships replete with presence and absence, love and loss. An essential text for anyone interested in autoethnography, personal narrative, identity, relationships, and family communication.

And here's the link to the book: https://www.sensepublishers.com/.../on-writing-families/ For a limited time, the code "129375" can be used for a 20% discount (on the publisher's website). You can also access a free preview of the book (Introduction, Chapter 1, Chapter 2).

Many thanks to the contributors to the collection, and to Sense Publishers for all of their assistance.

Tony Adams

Northeastern Illinois University