Archive for publications, October 2011

[ecrea] Fwd: [ComCom] New book out on Alternative and Community Journalism

Fri Oct 28 11:50:36 GMT 2011

Just a short note to let you all know that I have a new book published with Palgrave Macmillan in the UK, titled 'Challenging the News: The Journalism of Alternative and Community Media'. It's an examination of alternative and independent practices in Australia, the UK and the US -- and includes case studies from publications like Crikey, Village Voice Media in the US and some smaller UK independents such as SchNEWS and Peace News. The aim of the work was to get down to the essentials of what makes alternative journalism in a very practical sense and I hope it's an original contribution in that way. There is discussion of all forms -- print, community broadcasting and online alternative journalism -- and a chapter on policy as well.

Apologies for the promotion to this discussion list (really), I'm just not sure how else to 'get the word out' to my international colleagues (!) -- and apologies also to those who may receive this again through the Radio Studies list.

I look forward to seeing everyone in Durban next year; and will be in touch before then to discuss the progression of our new journal, tentatively titled the Journal of Alternative and Community Media, in the near future.

My best regards to all,

Susan.

Requests for inspection copies or online purchases:
http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?pid=364540

Dr Susan Forde
Senior Lecturer in Journalism
Program Leader
Media, Journalism & the Public Sphere Research Program
Griffith Centre for Cultural Research
Griffith University, Nathan, Qld, 4111
p: +61 7-3735 7229
e: (_s.forde /at/ griffith.edu).au_ <mailto:(s.forde /at/ griffith.edu.au)>
w: http://www.griffith.edu.au/humanities-languages/centre-cultural-research