Archive for publications, 2010

[ecrea] New Book: European Cinema in Motion

Fri Sep 03 19:49:04 GMT 2010

>We are delighted to announce the publication of
>the anthology European Cinema in Motion: Migrant
>and Diasporic Film in Contemporary Europe, eds.
>Daniela Berghahn and Claudia Sternberg, which
>has just been published by Palgrave. The book
>can be ordered directly from
><http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?PID=471050>Palgrave
>or at
><http://www.amazon.co.uk/European-Cinema-Motion-Diasporic-Contemporary/dp/0230278981/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279191535&sr=1-1>Amazon.co.uk.
>

>What this book is about:
>
>Transnational mobility and migration are amongst
>the most powerful forces of social
>transformation in the contemporary world. Over
>the past three decades, representations of
>migrant and diasporic experiences and the
>dynamics of postmodern multiculturalism have
>assumed a prominent position in European
>mainstream and art house cinema. Filmmakers with
>a migratory background have brought about the
>World Cinema turn in European cinema by
>introducing new narratives and by fusing Western
>and non-Western aesthetic traditions. European
>Cinema in Motion develops an original theory of
>migrant and diasporic cinema and provides an
>overview of its cultural and industrial contexts
>in Europe. Representative case studies of more
>than eighty films adopt a comparative
>perspective in the search for the commonalities
>and differences between productions from
>Western, Southern and Eastern Europe. The
>contributions reflect the wide spectrum of this
>important new field at the interface of
>(trans)national, European and World Cinema.
>
>Contents
>
>Locating Migrant and Diasporic Cinema in
>Contemporary Europe; D.Berghahn & C.Sternberg
>Migration and Cinematic Process in Post-Cold War Europe; D.Iordanova
>State and Other Funding for Migrant, Diasporic
>and World Cinemas in Europe; A.Jäckel
>Nostalgic Journeys in Post-Soviet Cinema: Towards a Lost Home?; B.Beumers
>Transculturation in German and Spanish Migrant
>and Diasporic Cinema: On Constrained Spaces and
>Minor Intimacies in Princesses and A Little Bit of Freedom; E.G.Rodríguez
>The Dark Side of Hybridity: Contemporary Black
>and Asian British Cinema; S.Malik
>Body Matters: Immigrants in Recent Spanish,
>Italian and Greek Cinemas; I.Santaolalla
>Gendering Diaspora: The Work of Diasporic Women
>Filmmakers in Western Europe; C.Tarr
>Queering the Diaspora; J.S.Williams
>Sound Bridges: Transnational Mobility as Ironic Melodrama; D.Göktürk
>Coming of Age in 'the Hood': The Diasporic Youth
>Film and Questions of Genre; D.Berghahn
>Migration, Diaspora and Metacinematic Reflection; C.Sternberg
>Future Imperfect: Some Onward Perspectives on
>Migrant and Diasporic Film Practice; G.Jones
>
>If you would like to obtain a review copy of the
>book, please contact the book review editors of
>one of the following journals, which will be able to send you a review copy:
>

>Screen
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885