Archive for publications, 2010

[ecrea] International Journal of Communication (IJoC)

Thu Aug 19 22:19:36 GMT 2010

>*/International Journal of Communication (IJoC)/*
>
>*/SSRC /**/Special Section/*
>
>/*The International Journal of Communication (IJoC),*/ in collaboration
>with the Social Science Research* *Council (SSRC),* *has just published
>a collection of essays featuring contributions from invited participants
>to the IJoC/SSRC Forum on "Making Communication Research Matter."
>
>These four essays explore how and why engaged research should be
>conducted, with each one taking a unique approach and focusing on a
>specific topic:
>
>     * Inquiry into how researchers can include and collaborate with
>       under-represented populations by asking the underlying question:
>       For whom should our research matter?
>     * Examination of how different roles¯practitioner, academic, and
>       activist---can overlap and complement each other to support the
>       community radio cause in the policy arena.
>     * Analysis of the obstacles and methodological challenges of working
>       with grassroots activists that addresses the question of how
>       different organizational cultures can best talk to each other.
>     * Discussion of how personal and collective processes of reflection
>       and action can empower researchers and practitioners in
>       understanding dynamics of power and participation.
>
>The articles constitute the building blocks of an epistemology of
>engaged research. They are highly relevant for communications and media
>scholars, as well as for students of social movements, policy and
>governance, and methods for social research.
>
>Visit _http://ijoc.org <http://ijoc.org/>_ to read these articles as
>well as other topics of interest in communication study. Your comments
>are certainly welcomed.
>
>Manuel Castells & Larry Gross
>/Editors/
>
>Stefania Milan
>/Guest Editor/
>
>Arlene Luck
>/Managing Editor/
>
>**

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885