Archive for publications, 2010

[ecrea] Book Announcement: Nick Couldry - Why Voice Matters

Tue Aug 03 09:23:14 GMT 2010

>Apologies for any cross-postings. Just a quick note to let you know
>about Nick Couldry's new book, Why Voice Matters. I hope it's of interest!
>
><http://www.uk.sagepub.com/booksProdDesc.nav?prodId=Book233759&;>Why
>Voice Matters
>Culture and Politics After Neoliberalism
>
>"Nick Couldry has emerged as one of the most brilliant critics we
>have of neoliberalism and its assault on almost every aspect of
>public life. What is unique about this book is that it not only
>understands neoliberalism as an economic discourse but also, if not
>more importantly, as a profound and powerful mode of cultural
>politics. This is one of the best books I have read in years about
>what it means to engage neoliberalism through a critical framework
>that highlights those narratives and stories that affirm both our
>humanity and our longing for justice. This book should be read by
>everyone concerned with what it might mean to not only dream about
>democracy but to engage it as a lived experience and political
>possibility" - Henry Giroux, McMaster University
>
>For more than thirty years neoliberalism has declared that market
>functioning trumps all other social, political and economic values.
>In this book, Nick Couldry passionately argues for voice, the
>effective opportunity for people to speak and be heard on what
>affects their lives, as the only value that can truly challenge
>neoliberal politics. But having voice is not enough: we need to know
>our voice matters. Insisting that the answer goes much deeper than
>simply calling for 'more voices', whether on the streets or in the
>media, Couldry presents a dazzling range of analysis from the real
>world of Blair and Obama to the social theory of Judith Butler and Amartya Sen.
>
>Why Voice Matters breaks open the contradictions in neoliberal
>thought and shows how the mainstream media not only fails to provide
>the means for people to give an account of themselves, but also
>reinforces neoliberal values. Moving beyond the despair common to
>much of today's analysis, Couldry shows us a vision of a democracy
>based on social cooperation and offers the resources we need to
>build a new post-neoliberal politics.
>
>Contents:
>
>1. Voice as Value
>2. The Crisis of Neoliberal Economics
>3. Neoliberal Democracy: An Oxymoron
>4. Media and the Amplification of Neoliberal Values
>5. Philosophies of Voice
>6. Sociologies of Voice
>7. Towards a Post-Neoliberal Politics
>
>The
><http://www.uk.sagepub.com/booksProdDesc.nav?prodId=Book233759&;>first
>  chapter is available to read online. If you're a book reviews
>editor for a journal and would like a review copy, e-mail
><mailto:(reviews /at/ sagepub.co.uk)>(reviews /at/ sagepub.co.uk). To request an
>inspection copy for teaching, click on the link below and follow the
>instructions.
>
>All the best,

> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885