Archive for calls, November 2022

[Commlist] CfP: Exposing the Film Apparatus: what, when, where, and how?

Thu Nov 24 22:18:41 GMT 2022

* Call for papers *

Exposing the Film Apparatus: what, when, where and how?

We are inviting proposals for contributions to a volume edited by Giovanna Fossati, Annie van den Oever and Erkki Huhtamo.

In 2016 we published Exposing the Film Apparatus: The Film Archive as a Research Laboratory, which sprang from a workshop in 2013 under this title. It addresses the rather new awareness of the prominence of media technologies in culture and discusses how such an awareness impacts the archival and curatorial consciousness of those working in film archives, science, technology, and media museums at the time. It seems to us though that there have been significant changes in the field of archives, apparatus collections as well as in the world of the arts, museums, teaching, and research since then, raising newly relevant questions that need to be addressed. We recognize three fields which we would want to focus our attention on in this upcoming volume: (1) archiving and curating, (2) research and teaching, and (3) artist practices and experimentation. Our aim is to contribute to the mapping of these developments in the fields of collecting, curating, archiving, exhibiting, and the use of apparatus collections in research and teaching. We want to focus on new developments from a fresh, global, diverse and inclusive post-colonial perspective and we are specifically interested in topics and questions understudied so far – and we hope that you will bring examples to this project we might have missed otherwise. We also want to address a series of simple, general, practical questions: which public and private entities prioritize the apparatus collections today and how? Who studies these collections? How are they archived and curated? How (if at all) are apparatuses kept operational in a time they were (technically) not made for? Furthermore, we want to take the impact of the covid-19 pandemic into account as it has evoked new questions and concerns in all three of these fields.

Sections of the book will be dedicated to different themes -- archiving & curating, research & teaching, artist practices -- and each section will be introduced with an essay by one of the editors. In line with the format adopted for the 2016 book, we will feature thirty contributions in total, each focusing on a different device. The length of each separate contribution will be about six pages (2400 words). A full-page illustration of the technology discussed will be included with each essay as a focal point. Moreover, a short technical description and a theoretical framework will be added to each essay to announce its topic and approach.

This call for papers addresses archivists, curators, projectionists, theorists, film and media historians, media artists, archaeologists, educationists, and new media scholars.

Each contributor is invited to reflect upon a specific device. The technical and theoretical reflection on the device will differ (depending on the author’s interests and expertise. We stimulate and support a great variety of different approaches.
Proposals may include the following topics:
- Histories of use and representation
- Global media cultures: non-Western media archaeology and histories of use
- Best practices in archiving histories of use
- Sustainable approaches for demonstrating working devices in heritage institutions
- The reception and evaluation of a device by critics or specific audiences
- Object-oriented archaeologies of media technologies
- Hands-on media history in practice-based research or education
- Intersectional media archaeology
- The development of a certain dispositif
- Artist practices and experimentation
- Artist-driven media archaeologies
- Changing policies and priorities in acquiring, preserving and curating film apparatus collections

Of further importance are ever relevant questions about the role of apparatus collections or archival devices in the history and development of film and cinema, or their role and significance as an object of teaching and research, restoration, and archiving both inside and outside of the archive or museum.

This book is meant for use in film archives, film, technology, media and modern art museums, libraries and universities. We aim at a visually attractive book that stands out in art museums and art schools, presenting a detailed and relevant inventory of devices used by artists, scholars, amateurs, and cinematographers.

* Submissions
We invite you to submit a 300-word proposal, including 3 bibliographic references, 3 keywords, as well as a short biography of 100 words at the following email address: (exposingthefilmapparatus2024 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(exposingthefilmapparatus2024 /at/ gmail.com)>. The deadline for proposal submissions is 10 January 2023. On the basis of the proposals, writers will be invited to submit full manuscripts (2400 words) – you will be contacted no later than 1 February 2023. The deadline for the full manuscript is 1 September 2023, after which each contribution will be peer-reviewed. We aim to present the book at the Eye International Conference in May 2024.

Please note that we do not accept complete manuscripts for consideration without an invitation.

* Time frame publication:
Presentation book: May 2024
Peer feedback: 15 November 2023
Peer reviews: (6 weeks) until 15 October 2023
Submission all individual manuscripts: 1 September 2023
Response proposal: no later than 1 February 2023
Submission abstract: 10 January 2023
Call for papers: 22 November 2022

No article processing charges (APC) required.