[ecrea] Call for abstracts (articles): Special issue of the SoundEffects journal

Thu Nov 08 22:09:24 GMT 2018

Deadline extended: Call for abstracts (articles): Special issue of the SoundEffects journal

Theme: Participation in Auditory Culture

Editors: Iben Have, Vadim Keylin

https://www.soundeffects.dk/announcement/view/657

The rising prominence of interactive media and technologies has brought about an increased scholarly interest in participatory phenomena. This issue of SoundEffects aims to put a sonic spin on participation studies and emphasize the dialogic and participatory aspects of auditory culture. Sound remaining a primary medium of human communication carries with it an urgency to be heard and answered, offering rich possibilities for participatory processes, whether technologically mediated or not, which nevertheless remain underexplored in contemporary sound studies.

Nowadays, the easy availability of open-source software for sound editing and synthesis, as well as online sharing services, drastically lowered the professional and financial barriers for sound production and distribution. With this special issue, we want to explore the new ways of participatory sound-making and exchange brought about by the prosumer/produser culture. At the same time, we also want to look back at the sonic practices and phenomena of the past, such as the call-in radio shows or mixtapes, with this new participatory optics.

Therefore, we invite contributions that focus both on the participatory perspectives on sound culture, and on the auditory perspectives on participatory culture. We welcome papers and essays that address and investigate, but are not limited to, the following phenomena:

  * DIY music and sound design
  * Piracy and bootlegging
  * Participatory music and sound art
  * Sound design in interactive media (e.g. computer games)
  * Online platforms for auditory participation
  * Community music and sonic practices
  * Old media for auditory participation
  * Pirate radio and amateur podcasts
  * On- and offline acoustic communities
  * Sound and social movements

Important deadlines:

Abstract deadline (300 words): EXTENDED to November 18, 2018

Decision regarding the abstracts: December 3, 2018

Article deadline (depending on a positive review of the abstract): March 4, 2019

Published: Summer 2019

Please send your abstract to Vadim Keylin at (vkeylin /at/ cc.au.dk) <mailto:(vkeylin /at/ cc.au.dk)>

Direct link to the call: https://www.soundeffects.dk/announcement/view/657

SoundEffects (http://soundeffects.dk) is an open access, international, peer-reviewed journal on sound and sound experience operating on the Open Journal System. SoundEffects brings together a plurality of theories, methodologies, and historical approaches applicable to sound as both mediated and unmediated experience. The journal primarily addresses disciplines within media and communication studies, aesthetics, musicology, comparative literature, cultural studies, psychology and sociology. In order to push the boundary of interdisciplinary sound studies into new areas, we also encourage contributions from disciplines such as health care, architecture, and sound design. As an international journal taking a humanities-based interdisciplinary approach to sound, SoundEffects is responding to the increasing global interest in sound studies. SoundEffects does not take any charge for submission, review or publishing of articles.