[ecrea] Call for Chapter Proposals - From Branding to Diplomacy: Cities in the International Arena

Fri Sep 28 20:32:12 GMT 2018

———

*Call for Chapter Proposals*

*Tentative Title* From Branding to Diplomacy: Cities in the International Arena

*Book Co-editors*
Efe Sevin (Reinhardt University, Waleska, GA)
Sohaela Amiri (Pardee RAND Graduate School, Santa Monica, CA)

*Timeline*
-Proposal Submission Deadline: November 1st, 2018
-Notification of Acceptance: November 16th, 2018
-Submission Date: February 15th, 2019
-Revisions Due: May 1st, 2019

*Background*

From climate change to security, cities have been playing an active role in brokering international agreements. Recently, scholarly attention has started to focus on the diplomatic functions of cities. This nascent field of study positions cities as legitimate actors in the world scene. With this volume, we aim to present a more inclusive explanation of the role of cities in this new arena by bringing together studies highlighting how cities interact not only with each but with other actors, including their own state governments, other states, and non-governmental organizations.

Building on the existing studies in the field, we position this book as a way to launch into a larger discussion on cities and their role in international relations. We are looking for three broad approaches to city diplomacy: (1) theoretical approaches to the study of city diplomacy, (2) new methods and methodologies in city diplomacy, and (3) case studies.  We are particularly interested in studies that highlight the negotiation processes between different levels of governance, such as city administrations and nation states, international organizations and non-state actors. Given the interdisciplinary nature of the studies in the field, we expect and welcome proposals from communication and media studies, public relations, strategic communication, political science, international relations, urban studies, and other relevant areas.  We invite contributions that focus on the role of cities as actors in the international arena. The topics include, but are not limited to:

•Global governance and the role of cities
•International policies tackled by cities
•City-Nation states conflicts
•City diplomacy and soft power
•       Identity and communication in city diplomacy
•International city networks
•Organizational structures for city diplomacy
•Tourism and city diplomacy
•City image and branding
•       Mediated images of cities
•       Role of traditional / new media on city branding
•Communication and marketing campaigns for cities

*Submission*

Proposals should be submitted to both editors via e-mail <mailto: (citydiplomacy /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(citydiplomacy /at/ gmail.com)>>. Proposals should include a title and an abstract of no more than 500 words, along with author name(s) and bio sketches of no more than 200 words. Abstracts should include information about proposed topic and methodology, as well as expected findings and number of tables/figures.

All invited manuscripts will go through double-blind review process, and if needed, editors might ask the authors in the project to review one or two papers submitted for this volume.

Each chapter is expected to be around 6,000-8,000 words (including footnotes, endnotes, references, and tables).

*Note about publisher*

The editors have been working with a major publisher which has expressed initial interest in the project however publication is contingent upon approval of the book proposal with contributor names and abstracts.

*Contact*

Informal inquiries about the project can be directed to the editors: Efe Sevin <mailto:(ehs /at/ reinhardt.edu) <mailto:(ehs /at/ reinhardt.edu)>>, Sohaela Amiri <mailto:(sohaela_amiri /at/ rand.org) <mailto:(sohaela_amiri /at/ rand.org)>>