[ecrea] Anti-Social Media Conference

Wed Aug 08 14:05:39 GMT 2018

Please find below registration information for the Institute of Communication Ethics October conference. Email me if you’re interested in attending – (f.thompson /at/ yorksj.ac.uk) <mailto:(f.thompson /at/ yorksj.ac.uk)>.

**

*‘ANTI-SOCIAL MEDIA?’ THE BIG ISSUES*

Institute of Communication Ethics Annual Conference and the book launch of /Anti-Social Media///

26 October 2018, Frontline Club, 13 Norfolk Place, London W2 1QJ

Social media is supposed to be the big liberator and democratiser of our era; the platform for everyone to use-and abuse. But have we created our own digital monster full of ‘fake news’, bile, bullying, bots, trolling and more? Is ‘social media’ precisely the opposite?

This is the focus of this year’s conference which also includes the launch of a new book, /‘Anti-Social Media?’./

Presentations on:

·Anti-social networking? Social media and punishment attacks in post-conflict Northern Ireland (Faith Gordon & Paul Reilly)

·Open Discourse: a media theory for the twenty-first century (Denis Muller)

·Inspecting nonviolence in mainstream and social media. Actorness and efficacy (Silvia De Michelis)

·Young people’s views on the risks of social media misuse (Holly Powell-Jones)

·Online trolls and the freedom of speech: are the bullies taking over? (Claire Wolfe)

·Hostility Targeted at MPs on Twitter: Using Sentiment Analysis on Large Datasets of @messages (Amy Binns)

·Fighting the hand the feeds you: A quantitative study of the journalistic sources of the left-wing political blog The Canary (Sean Dodson)

·Prioritizing Profit Over Privacy: Facebook’s Research and Privacy Violations Leading up to Cambridge Analytica (Chloe Nurik)

//

/‘Anti-Social Media? - The impact of social media on journalism and society’ /is edited by John Mair, Tor Clark, Raymond Snoddy and Richard Tait. Published by Arima with chapters on the death of journalism as we know it; eating the advertising dollar; poisoning the well with regard to politics and to trolling; and business monopoly and regulation.

To join us please email (f.thompson /at/ yorksj.ac.uk) <mailto:(f.thompson /at/ yorksj.ac.uk)>with name, email address, dietary requirements and how payment will be made.

*Payment rates***

The delegate rate for the conference is:

£60.00 (£5.00 for registered students) - the cost includes a sandwich lunch and the book launch.

Payment can be made in two ways:

*Cheque*payable to ‘Institute of Communication Ethics’ and sent to the address below

*Bank transfer:***

HSBCBank (63 High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 1XQ)

HSBC - Sort code: 40-28-15 - Account no: 71321536

Account name: The Institute of Communication Ethics Limited

For international transactions: International bank ac number (IBAN) – GB35HBUK40281571321536. Branch identifier code HBUKGB4138D

Please can you make sure it is clear from the bank transfer who the payment is from and that it is for the conference!

I am afraid that, currently, it isn’t possible to pay by credit or debit card. Any queries about the conference or how to pay please email as above.