[ecrea] cfp 'Anti-social media?'

Tue Apr 17 21:49:37 GMT 2018

Given the recent investigations by Carole Cadwalladr and colleagues from the Guardian and Channel 4 etc re Cambridge Analytica and other organisations, we are extending the cfp deadline for the Institute of Communication Ethics conference until the end of May. We appreciate that it is possibly too early to expect abstracts – if anyone has a nascent idea for a presentation at the conference on this subject please send it to us. Details below.

*INSTITUTE OF COMMUNICATION ETHICS *

*ANNUAL CONFERENCE 2018*

*‘ANTI-SOCIAL MEDIA?’ THE BIG ISSUES*

*26^th OCTOBER 2018, THE FRONTLINE CLUB, LONDON*

Social media is supposed to be the big liberator and democratiser of our era; the platform for everyone to use-and abuse. But have we created our own digital monster full of ‘fake news’, bile, bullying, bots, trolling and more?

Is ‘social media’ precisely the opposite?

The 2018 ICE annual conference will examine the many issues:-for instance, the economics, the politics, the shift in civil and civic conversation and the allegations over subverting the democratic process in the West. In short, the ethical space it inhabits.

If you have a short paper on this wide subject then do submit a short (500-word maximum) abstract * OR AN IDEA/POSITION PAPER RELATING TO CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA AND THE GUARDIAN’S INVESTIGATION *by May 30^th 2018 The conference will coincide with the publication/launch of /Anti-Social Media/, edited by John Mair, Tor Clark, Neil Fowler, Raymond Snoddy and Richard Tait. The editors of that text may ask some authors to work up papers early for their publication. There will also be an /Ethical Space/ special issue in early 2019.

We are also looking for a volunteer producer/curator or two to help mount the conference.

All abstracts and offers of help please to Dr Fiona Thompson ((f.thompson287 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(f.thompson287 /at/ gmail.com)>) with copies to John Mair (Johnmair100 /at/ hotmail.com) <mailto:(Johnmair100 /at/ hotmail.com)>and Prof  Richard Lance Keeble ((rkeeble /at/ lincoln.ac.uk) <mailto:(rkeeble /at/ lincoln.ac.uk)>).