[ecrea] CfP: Historical Fiction Network

Wed Mar 07 17:23:08 GMT 2018

The 2019  Historical Fictions Research Conference will be held in Manchester,  Friday 22nd and Saturday 23rd February 2019.

The Call for Papers is now open.  Papers on all topics and from all disciplines are welcomed.

/This year, in honour of the 100th anniversary of the “Peterloo Massacre” <https://www.bl.uk/romantics-and-victorians/articles/the-peterloo-massacre>we welcome in particular papers on the loose topic “Radical Fictions”./

The CfP closes on July 1st 2018.

Twitter: @HistoricalFic

Facebook Group: Historical Fictions Research Network

Historical fictions can be understood as an expanded mode of historiography. Scholars in literary, visual, historical and museum/re-creation studies have long been interested in the construction of the fictive past, understanding it as a locus for ideological expression. However, this is a key moment for the study of historical fictions as critical recognition of these texts and their convergence with lines of theory is expanding into new areas such as the philosophy of history, narratology, popular literature, historical narratives of national and cultural identity, and cross-disciplinary approaches to narrative constructions of the past.

Historical fictions measure the gap between the pasts we are permitted to know and those we wish to know: the interaction of the meaning-making narrative drive with the narrative-resistant nature of the past. They constitute a powerful discursive system for the production of cognitive and ideological representations of identity, agency, and social function, and for the negotiation of conceptual relationships and charged tensions between the complexity of societies in time and the teleology of lived experience. The licences of fiction, especially in mass culture, define a space of thought in which the pursuit of narrative forms of meaning is permitted to slip the chains of sanctioned historical truths to explore the deep desires and dreams that lie beneath all constructions of the past.

//We welcome paper proposals from Archaeology, Architecture, Literature, Media, Art History, Musicology, Reception Studies, Museum Studies, Recreation, Gaming, Transformative Works and others. We welcome paper proposals across historical periods, with ambitious, high-quality, inter-disciplinary approaches and new methodologies that will support research into larger trends and which will lead to more theoretically informed understandings of the mode across historical periods, cultures and languages.

We aim to create a disciplinary core, where researchers can engage in issues of philosophy and methodology and generate a collective discourse around historical fictions in a range of media and across period specialities.

Paper proposals consisting of a title and abstract of /no more than /250 words should be submitted to: (historicalfictionsresearch /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(historicalfictionsresearch /at/ gmail.com)>

*Registration: tickets can be purchased here. <http://bit.ly/2BXomFl>*

*Waged, £65/**Concessions, £35 (no booking fee).*