[ecrea] Call for Applications - 2018 Data in Democracy Summer School

Wed Mar 07 08:52:12 GMT 2018

I'm very excited to announce the new Data in Democracy Summer School, which will be hosted at Leiden University's campus in The Hague this July. The school will bring together a select group of academics (including grad students) and practitioners who care about promoting the responsible use of data and technology in democratic societies. It is proactively cross-disciplinary and cross-sectoral, and anyone who analyzes or otherwise makes use of quantitative data is eligible to apply. The Call for Applications and link to the summer school website are below.

Feel free to contact me with any questions at (dataindemocracy /at/ fsw.leidenuniv.nl) <mailto:(dataindemocracy /at/ fsw.leidenuniv.nl)><mailto:(dataindemocracy /at/ fsw.leidenuniv.nl) <mailto:(dataindemocracy /at/ fsw.leidenuniv.nl)>>. And please share widely! We really want to ensure we are able to put together a diverse group of passionate participants.

Call for Applications - 2018 Data in Democracy Summer School

Dates: July 2-6, 2018

Location: The Hague

Early-bird application deadline (with reduced fee): April 7th

Regular application deadline (with standard fee): April 30th

Our Vision

#ResponsibleData #ResponsibleTech

From criminal justice to transportation, poverty to "fake news," large-scale data are helping us both understand and address some of the most pressing issues facing modern democracies. And yet analyses and applications of those same data can do real harm. Algorithms used for setting bail can perpetuate racial biases. Calculations employed to improve the efficiency of postal delivery may divert already-scarce resources away from impoverished areas. Enhancing political engagement on social media platforms can promote misinformation, polarization, and distrust. And the list-unfortunately-goes on.

How can we maximize the effectiveness of, and minimize potential harms resulting from, the use of data in contemporary democracies? One important answer is to bring more social science into our data practices. Social science perspectives permit a deeper understanding of the social and political processes that generate data-allowing us to more critically unpack what the data represent. And social science research can tell us a great deal about the likely effects of various applications resulting from data analysis.

With this in mind, the Data in Democracy Summer School will bring together a select group of practitioners and academics for five days to learn about and apply crucial insights from the social sciences concerning the forms, functions, and impacts of data in democratic societies. Participants will receive a series of lectures with built-in practical exercises, engage in social and networking activities, and, on the final day, take part in a "hackathon" that capitalizes on participants' diverse backgrounds and experiences as they work together on a problem using real-world data.

We are seeking participants from a wide range of fields and backgrounds, and we encourage anyone who holds at least a bachelor's degree (or equivalent work experience) and who works with quantitative data to apply.

For more information, please visit: http://summerschool.universiteitleiden.nl/courses/data-in-democracy-1 <http://summerschool.universiteitleiden.nl/courses/data-in-democracy-1>

And feel free to contact us with any questions at (dataindemocracy /at/ fsw.leidenuniv.nl) <mailto:(dataindemocracy /at/ fsw.leidenuniv.nl)><mailto:(dataindemocracy /at/ fsw.leidenuniv.nl) <mailto:(dataindemocracy /at/ fsw.leidenuniv.nl)>>.