[ecrea] CFP PhD Symposium: Using Multimodal Critical Discourse Analysis in research projects

Wed Jan 03 09:25:29 GMT 2018

Call for papers

PhD Symposium: Using Multimodal Critical Discourse Analysis in research projects

Örebro University Sweden, 12^th - 13^th June 2018

Guest speakers:

David Machin Örebro University, Sweden

Andrea Mayr Queen’s Belfast, Northern Ireland

Tomasso Milani Gothenborg University, Sweden

John Richardson Loughborough University, UK

This is a two-day symposium for PhD students who are working with multimodal analysis as part of their research. The aim is to present, discuss and assess the kinds of tools and procedures we are all using, as part of critical analysis. The invited speakers will also show how they themselves carry out multimodal analysis and provide feedback after presentations and individually to students.

Over the past 15 years multimodality has developed into a field and also divided into a number of different strands. Each of these has its own specific interests, but not all are necessarily suitable for clearly answering the kinds of research questions asked in Critical Discourse Studies. Here, our broad aim is to carry out close empirical analysis of discourse in ways which draw out the less obvious ways by which they communicate and carry ideology. In this symposium we explore and share the tools and procedures through which we can do this multimodally.

Students should submit abstracts (maximum 250 words) by February 10^th to (multimodalCDA /at/ oru.se) <mailto:(multimodalCDA /at/ oru.se)>

Abstract proposals should be saved as a Word file, and include full name of the author, institutional and departmental affiliation and contact details (email and institutional postal address).

These can be on any topic or using any kind of data, providing they are oriented to multimodal critical discourse analysis. For example, this could include, television, film, sound and music, document analysis, social media, websites, etc. Decisions will be made within the following week of the deadline.

There are no fees for this event; coffee, lunches and one evening meal will be provided.

We can also offer some financial support for travel and accommodation for two students. We will prioritize students in less well-resourced universities, especially those in UN listed poorer countries, and where larger travel distances may be a barrier. If you wish to be considered for this financial assistance, please provide a case for support along with your abstract.

Department of Social Sciences
Loughborough University
Leics, UK, LE11 3TU
Tel: 01509 223361

Current issue of Critical Discourse Studies <http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rcds20/current>
<http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=jiGwqOUAAAAJ&hl=en>
<http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=jiGwqOUAAAAJ&hl=en>Cadaad <http://www.cadaad.net/> Executive Committee Member <http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=jiGwqOUAAAAJ&hl=en>Google Scholar <http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=jiGwqOUAAAAJ&hl=en>page<http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=jiGwqOUAAAAJ&hl=en>
<http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=jiGwqOUAAAAJ&hl=en>
Leverhulme Research Fellow
<http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rcds20/current>