Archive for calls, June 2016

[ecrea] Assoc for Photography in HE Conference

Thu Jun 16 12:31:34 GMT 2016

Meshworks: APHE Summer Conference 29 June - 1st July, University of Plymouth and Plymouth College of Art.

Only two weeks to go until this year's conference! Make sure you don't miss out... Book all you need via eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/meshworks-aphe-summer-conference-2016-tickets-24789501065

Keynote Speakers:
Shahidul Alam, Professor Liz Wells,
Michael Mack and Professor David Chandler.
The theme for the 2016 APHE conference is focused around where and how photographic higher education is situated, and more broadly its reach and purpose in the 21st Century. We wish to examine and question how the study of photography fits into the overall journey of students, from school to the workplace. Such journeys do not always follow a linear chronology – the paths students take, much as they might like them to, do not always lead where they expect. The multiple entanglements emerging, from hesitant beginnings, detours, cul-de-sacs and apparent arrivals, map out individual experiences. These are then overlaid onto sometimes-rigid institutional forms and structures. In this context we acknowledge the many changes that have taken place in relation to employment opportunities in the creative sector during recent years, and ask how education can respond.

Keynote Speakers :
Shahidul Alam
Speaking on Friday 1st July

A photographer, writer, curator and activist, Shahidul Alam obtained a PhD in chemistry at London University before switching to photography. Returning to his hometown Dhaka in 1984, he documented the democratic struggle to remove General Ershad. A former president of the Bangladesh Photographic Society, Alam set up the award winning Drik agency, Bangladesh Photographic Institute, Chobi Mela festival, Majority World agency and Pathshala, the South Asian Media Institute, considered one of the finest schools of photography in the world.

Liz Wells
Speaking on Thursday 30th June

Liz Wells (born London, lives Devon) writes and lectures on photographic practices. Through reference to art historical debates and through critical appraisal of key examples of work by photographers working in, for example, the USA, in Europe, Scandinavia and Baltic areas, she asks what is at stake in landscape photography now. She has curated a number of exhibitions on land, landscape, environment, exploring questions of representation and also what art can contribute within current debates on environmental trauma, climate change and the post-industrial sublime.

Michael Mack and Professor David Chandler in Conversation
Friday 1st July

Michael Mack: Mack was founded in 2011 in London by Michael Mack, who previously worked as managing director of Steidl, founding the steidlMACK imprint; John Koh, an antiquarian bookseller and entrepreneur; and Jean-Michel Dentand, a digital designer. Mack takes part in various book fairs, showcasing new titles, participating in talks, and organising artist book signings. These annual fairs include the NY Art Book Fair, in September; Paris Photo, in November; Rencontres d'Arles, in July; Frankfurt Book Fair; Photobook Bristol and The London Book Fair.

Professor David Chandler: These ideas were a driving force behind my role as Director of Photoworks from 1997 to 2010, where, among other things, I initiated a major series of site-based commissions and over thirteen years worked closely with a range of very different photographers and artists. The ideas have also informed my activities as a publisher of photographic books, especially at Photoworks, and I have developed a particular interest in the practice and process of book making, something underpinned by the firm belief in the book as a primary site for the photographic image.