Archive for publications, October 2024

[Commlist] New book: Music Films - Documentaries, Concert Films and Other Cinematic Representations of Popular Music

Thu Oct 10 22:24:55 GMT 2024

New book /Music Films: Documentaries, Concert Films and Other Cinematic Representations of Popular Music,
BFI/Bloomsbury
May 2024

_https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/music-films-9781839023439/ <https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/music-films-9781839023439/>_

—

In /Music Films/, Neil Fox considers a broad range of music documentaries, delving into their cinematic style, political undertones, racial dynamics, and gender representations, in order to assess their role in the cultivation of myth.

Combining historical and critical analyses, and drawing on film and music criticism, Fox examines renowned music films such as /A Hard Day's Night/ (1964), /Dig!/ (2004), and /Amazing Grace/ (2006), critically lauded works like /Milford Graves Full Mantis/ (2018) and /Mistaken for Strangers/ (2013), and lesser-studied films including /Jazz on a Summer's Da/y (1959) and /Ornette: Made in America/ (1985). In doing so, he offers a comprehensive overview of the genre, situating these films within their wider cultural contexts and highlighting their formal and thematic innovations.

Discussions in the book span topics from concert filmmaking to music production, the music industry, touring, and filmic representations of authenticity and truth. Overall, Music Films traces the evolution of the genre, highlighting its cultural significance and connection to broader societal phenomena.
The book was launched at the BFI Library with a conversation with filmmaker Caroline Catz, whose film about Delia Derbyshire - /Delia Derbyshire: The Myths and Legendary Tapes /(2020) - I write about in the book.

I am travelling with the book in coming months, with events in New York later this month, in conversation with filmmaker Alex Ross Perry -

_https://www.roxycinemanewyork.com/screenings/black-roses-with-alex-ross-perry-and-neil-fox/ <https://www.roxycinemanewyork.com/screenings/black-roses-with-alex-ross-perry-and-neil-fox/>_

And in Manchester next month in conversation with filmmaker and musician Carl Hunter as part of the Louder than Words festival -

_https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/music-films-neil-fox-in-conversation-with-filmmaker-musician-carl-hunter-tickets-920875632807 <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/music-films-neil-fox-in-conversation-with-filmmaker-musician-carl-hunter-tickets-920875632807>_

Down the line there are planned events in Los Angeles, Berlin, Edinburgh and Gothenburg (dates TBC).

So far I have talked about the book and subject at Aberystwyth University, with a talk lined up at University of West Scotland soon. I’d love to talk to students at all levels about the subject, and if nothing else, the clips are hugely enjoyable. So please reach out if you are interested.
Sam Davies in */Sight and Sound/*//(September 2024) describes the book as being as much a *‘celebration as a survey’*, building a *‘persuasive argument that the years since the millennium have been the music film’s golden age’* and writes that it is *‘alert to the competing interests which can compromise music film, but also give it a unique tension*’.

I have been grateful to have been invited onto several podcasts and radio shows to discuss the book. You can hear me on the/Beatles Books /Podcast//here -

_https://open.spotify.com/episode/6fisJpSPGTFWtevMIKeM5g?si=7f1cbe3ce6b54c0d <https://open.spotify.com/episode/6fisJpSPGTFWtevMIKeM5g?si=7f1cbe3ce6b54c0d>_

And I was honoured that my /Cinematologists /co-conspirator Dr. Dario Llinares <https://dariollinares.substack.com/> saw fit to dedicate an episode of the show to the book, where he gave me an in-depth and much appreciated grilling on it -

_https://open.spotify.com/episode/33j0gDs2lNie2MpL0Zyqej?si=e9bcb301579b49b0 <https://open.spotify.com/episode/33j0gDs2lNie2MpL0Zyqej?si=e9bcb301579b49b0>_

I also appeared on /Doc ’n’ Roll Radio /to talk music film, and pick some songs. Always fun -

_https://www.mixcloud.com/sohoradio/doc-n-roll-feat-dr-neil-fox-29062024/ <https://www.mixcloud.com/sohoradio/doc-n-roll-feat-dr-neil-fox-29062024/>_