Archive for publications, 2022

[Commlist] Education Data Futures – new publication from the Digital Futures Commission

Wed Dec 14 10:58:30 GMT 2022

On 21 November, the Digital Futures Commission held a virtual launch of its new essay collection, /Education Data Futures/. This open access collection offers critical, practical and creative reflections identifying exciting possibilities for the beneficial uses of children’s data as well as tackling the exploitative uses (or misuse) of such data.

Authors from a wide range of disciplines, from academia to regulators, industry to the third sector have contributed to the collection. Some of the topics covered include:

  * The financial power brokers behind EdTech

<https://educationdatafutures.digitalfuturescommission.org.uk/essays/competing-interests-in-education-data/investigation-financial-power-brokers-edtech>
  * Exploring parental trust in relation to data about their family

<https://educationdatafutures.digitalfuturescommission.org.uk/essays/the-trouble-with-data/do-parents-trust-data-about-their-family>
  * How children’s data can be shared safely using existing data
    protection laws

<https://educationdatafutures.digitalfuturescommission.org.uk/essays/the-value-of-better-regulation/data-protection-a-framework>
  * What EdTech can learn from FinTech

<https://educationdatafutures.digitalfuturescommission.org.uk/essays/the-value-of-better-regulation/building-trust-in-edtech>
  * Understanding how disabled children can benefit from education data

<https://educationdatafutures.digitalfuturescommission.org.uk/essays/seeking-design-solutions/can-disabled-children-benefit-from-education-data>
  * What data stewardship could offer education

<https://educationdatafutures.digitalfuturescommission.org.uk/essays/rethinking-data-futures/new-approaches-data-stewardship>

Here are links for:

  * The full collection of essays

<https://educationdatafutures.digitalfuturescommission.org.uk/essays/rethinking-data-futures/new-approaches-data-stewardship>
  * Author biographies

<https://educationdatafutures.digitalfuturescommission.org.uk/biographies>
  * The recording of the launch event <https://vimeo.com/773707954>
  * The Digital Futures blog, with reflections upon the event.

<https://digitalfuturescommission.org.uk/blog/education-data-futures-continuing-the-conversation/>

The Digital Futures Commission is an exciting research collaboration of unique organisations that works with innovators, policy makers, regulators, academics and civil society to unlock digital innovation in the interests of children and young people.

We focus on three areas: play in a digital world, beneficial uses of education data, and guidance for innovators. Each work stream is informed by the voices of children and underpinned by a research programme and outputs geared toward real world change for children.

Read more about the Digital Futures Commission’s work in our blog <https://digitalfuturescommission.org.uk/blog/>, and sign up to our mailing list <https://digitalfuturescommission.org.uk/contact-us/> to receive updates from us. You can find us on Twitter <https://twitter.com/5RightsFound>, or LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/company/5rights/>: look for our hashtag, #DigitalFutures.