Archive for publications, 2022

[Commlist] New book: Media and Psychoanalysis – A Critical Introduction

Tue Sep 20 23:51:55 GMT 2022

Media and Psychoanalysis – A Critical Introduction (Karnac Books, London 2022)

Jacob Johanssen and Steffen Krüger

Our lives are saturated by media that we use in conscious as well as unconscious ways. Spanning a wide range of examples, from film and TV to social media, from gaming to robots, this critical introduction guides readers through the growing field of psychoanalytic media studies in a clear and accessible manner. It is an indispensable read for anyone who wants to understand the complex relationship between humans and technology today.

Jacob Johanssen and Steffen Krüger show how media function beyond the rational. What does it mean to speak of narcissism in relation to social media? How have the internet and online platforms shaped work? How do apps like Tinder and online pornography shape our experience of love and sexuality? What are the potentials and pitfalls in our relationships with AI and robots? These questions, and many others, are discussed and answered in this book.

Aimed at students, academics and clinicians, this book introduces readers to key media and the ways they have been approached psychoanalytically, and presents major concepts and debates led by scholars since the 1970s.

Table of Contents

Introduction

1. Reality and fantasy from film to TV

2. Social media and psychosocial relations

3. Work, neoliberalism and the perverse pact

4. Digital politics and the other

5. Virtual sexuality: from the pre-oedipal to the post-oedipal

6. Videogames, AI and the vicissitudes of symbiosis

Conclusion

Glossary

More information:

https://www.karnacbooks.com/product/media-and-psychoanalysis/96564/ <https://www.karnacbooks.com/product/media-and-psychoanalysis/96564/>

Join us on 13 October for a book launch event in central London:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/book-launch-media-and-psychoanalysis-by-jacob-johanssen-and-steffen-kruger-tickets-416691374117 <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/book-launch-media-and-psychoanalysis-by-jacob-johanssen-and-steffen-kruger-tickets-416691374117>