Archive for publications, May 2022

[Commlist] New Book Series with Peter Lang: Frontiers in Journalism Studies,

Fri May 06 09:49:08 GMT 2022

New Book Series with Peter Lang: 'Frontiers in Journalism Studies'

Series Editor: Scott Eldridge, Centre for Media and Journalism Studies, University of Groningen Series site: https://www.peterlang.com/series/fijs <https://www.peterlang.com/series/fijs>

Scott Eldridge is happy to announce a new book series with Peter Lang, 'Frontiers in Journalism Studies’.

The aim of the series is straightforward: journalism as a field, and journalism studies as a way to make sense of it, both face the challenge of keeping pace with a range of developments. Buffeted by changes in content, journalistic production, media technologies, business models, political pressures, and audience interest, not to mention still unfolding questions around algorithms, data and privacy, and platforms, the challenges for making sense of journalism are many and the changes have been significant. But changes can be made sense of, and even the most novel developments come from somewhere.

'Frontiers in Journalism Studies' embraces an opportunity to understand journalism’s place in society anew. By identifying key areas of journalism which have been defined almost exclusively by ‘change’ and revisiting these for how they draw on longer legacies, and by casting our gaze back towards theories and concepts that have fallen out of popular favour and revising these for our current circumstances, this series recognizes that while digital developments often catch our attention, we also have to confront societal, political, and commercial changes that affect how we understand journalism. It aims to do so through work that is:

• Conceptually rich, abundantly clear. This series will provide a conceptually and theoretically rich dialogue that is delivered within a clear and approachable discussion of journalism’s new frontiers, matching theoretical richness with accessibility.

• Research for tomorrow. The books in this series prioritize forward-looking research agendas that avoid being quickly ‘outdated’. By not focusing too narrowly on technological changes or current trends, it offers a jumping-off point and a conceptual foundation for journalism research going forward.

• Mapping journalism’s terrain. This series will place journalism in our current societies, addressing how they have changed and offering a map for how they might continue to be shaped in both journalism’s and journalism studies’ futures.

• Comprehensive. The titles in this series will give readers the information they need to make sense of a topic, providing students and scholars alike with an idea as to how to move forward in further developing their own research or understanding.

• Global. The issues addressed and the research presented in this series maintain a global focus. This recognizes that in journalism studies, engaging theoretical and conceptual work is being done across the world. This series aims to elevate this work across its titles.

• Provocative. This series provides a platform for scholars to deeply explore the topics under discussion, with the space to engage theoretical and conceptual questions with curiosity and boldness.

Over the coming months Scott Eldridge will be working with scholars to develop their ideas into titles this series. At the same time, they are also actively recruiting authors. If you have an idea for a title that you think would fit, or if you simply want to explore whether or not this series could be a home for something you have been working on, feel free to get in touch at (s.a.eldridge.ii /at/ rug.nl) <mailto:(s.a.eldridge.ii /at/ rug.nl)> to discuss your ideas and to start developing a proposal.

______