Archive for publications, October 2021

[Commlist] New Book - Gasoline Dreams: Waking Up from Petroculture

Tue Oct 19 17:58:16 GMT 2021

Simon Orpana is happy to share the publication of /Gasoline Dreams: Waking Up from Petroculture, /a graphic novel that confronts our habits, narratives and fantasies head-on to help break our petroleum dependency. On a rapidly warming planet, what if the largest barriers to navigating an exodus from fossil fuels are not technological or governmental but cultural? Using an accessible graphic format, /Gasoline Dreams/ draws widely from innovative research in the Energy Humanities to challenge the ways petroculture has shaped our identities, relationships, and abilities to imagine a more equitable and sustainable future.  By refusing the progress narratives that depict contemporary, energy-intensive societies as the inevitable product of human history, the book allows us to imagine truly progressive alternatives. In the midst of perhaps the greatest challenge and opportunity for social transformation we have yet faced as a species, /Gasoline Dreams’/ graphic engagement with history, critical theory and popular culture provides an accessible resource for students, researchers and the general public. Available from Fordham University Press: https://www.fordhampress.com/9780823297726/gasoline-dreams/ <https://www.fordhampress.com/9780823297726/gasoline-dreams/>