Archive for publications, October 2018

[ecrea] new book: Digital Citizenship in a Datafied Society

Thu Oct 18 22:06:04 GMT 2018

*Digital Citizenship in a Datafied Society*
Polity Press
Arne Hintz, Lina Dencik, Karin Wahl-Jorgensen

Order here: http://politybooks.com/bookdetail/?isbn=9781509527151
Blog entry: http://politybooks.com/digital-citizenship-in-a-datafied-society/

Digitization has transformed the way we interact with our social, political and economic environments. While it has enhanced the potential for citizen agency, it has also enabled the collection and analysis of unprecedented amounts of personal data. This requires us to fundamentally rethink our understanding of digital citizenship, based on an awareness of the ways in which citizens are increasingly monitored, categorized, sorted and profiled.

Drawing on extensive empirical research, Digital Citizenship in a Datafied Society offers a new understanding of citizenship in an age defined by data collection and processing. The book traces the social forces that shape digital citizenship by investigating regulatory frameworks, mediated public debate, citizens' knowledge and understanding, and possibilities for dissent and resistance.