Archive for publications, November 2013

[ecrea] New book in ECREA Book Series: "Multiplayer: The Social Aspects of Digital Gaming"

Wed Nov 06 09:35:49 GMT 2013

It is our pleasure to announce that the new book in ECREA Book Series "Multiplayer: The Social Aspects of Digital Gaming" edited by Thorsten Quandt and Sonja Kröger has been published in the Routledge Studies in European Communication Research and Education.

In the past decade, digital games have become a widely accepted form of media entertainment, moving from the traditional 'core gamer' community into the mainstream media market. With millions of people now enjoying gaming as interactive entertainment, there has been a huge increase in interest in social multiplayer gaming activities. However, despite the explosive growth in the field over the past decade, many aspects of social gaming still remain unexplored, especially from a media and communication studies perspective. "Multiplayer: Social Aspects of Digital Gaming" is the first edited volume of its kind that takes a closer look at the various forms of human interaction in and around digital games, providing an overview of debates, past and present. This engaging interdisciplinary book will appeal to upper level students, postgrads and researchers in games research, specifically those focusing on new media and digital games, as well as researchers in media studies and mass communication.

The new addition to the ECREA Book Series was ranked first in the evaluation of wave 9 book proposals and as such subsidised by ECREA. 774 copies of this book will, in due course, be shipped to our second year or more individual members and to the coordinators of our associated and institutional members. By sending a copy of this book to ECREA's core membership, the organisation wishes not only to express its appreciation for these members' continued support, but also to maximise this publication's audience and circulation. For book details on ECREA website, please see http://www.ecrea.eu/news/article/id/220 or http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415828864/ for Routledge website.

The ECREA Book Series consists of books arising from the intellectual work of ECREA members, as (according to our publication guidelines) at least half of the authors and one of the editors needs to be an ECREA member. Books address themes relevant to ECREA’s interests, make a major contribution to the theory, research, practice and/or policy literature, are European in scope, and represent a diversity of perspectives.

We would like to remind you that the call for the new wave of edited book proposals for the Routledge Studies in European Communication Research and Education Series is currently open (please see http://www.ecrea.eu/news/article/id/216).

ECREA considers the investment in the Book Series an important contribution to one of its main objectives, which is to stimulate European communication and media studies research. More details on ECREA Book Series can be found at http://www.ecrea.eu/publications/bookseries2 and on ECREA Book Series page @ Routledge at http://www.routledge.com/books/series/ECREA/.

Finally, we would like to congratulate the editors Thorsten Quandt and Sonja Kröger and contributors for their new book and are hoping for many more books to be published in our series!

Kind regards,

Claudia Alvares, Nico Carpentier and Ilija Tomanic Trivundža
ECREA Book Series Editors

+++