Archive for publications, 2009

[ecrea] New Book: The Content of Media - Quality, Profit and Competition

Tue Aug 04 20:41:00 GMT 2009

The Content of Media - Quality, Profit and Competition

Alfonso Sánchez-Tabernero

In this research about the content of Media, the author starts from three hypothesis: 1) In the last decades the content of the media has impoverished, particularly in the audiovisual sector. 2) The public demands are not the main cause for that tendency. 3) The vulgarisation of the contents is a high-risk company bet.

If the three hypotheses are confirmed, we can conclude that the deterioration of the news and entertainment contents obey mainly to factors that we have not clearly detected: insufficient number of competitors, lack of talent from those who make the products or lack of professionalism in the executive staff or management.

Therefore, if we go through that path, we can open a door to hope: instead of contemplating, in astonishment, the news superficiality and the rudeness of many entertainment programs, we find out that there are possibilities to recover part of the lost land.

About the Author

Alfonso Sánchez-Tabernero is Vice-President of the University of Navarra and Professor of Media Management at the School of Communication in the same university. He is also Doctor in Public Communications (University of Navarra, 1988) and Visiting Fellow at the European Institute for the Media (Düsseldorf). He got the Diploma in Business Administration (IESE Business School, 1996).

Title: «The Content of Media ? Quality, Profit and Competition»