Archive for publications, 2009

[ecrea] Design and Culture (new journal)

Thu Mar 05 21:36:37 GMT 2009

I'm delighted to announce the launch of a new journal called Design
and Culture, for which I am an associate editor. Please don't hesitate
to contact me (off list!) if you're interested in contributing. Note
that the entire first issue is available for free online (link below).

Sincerely,

Matt Soar
Communication Studies
Concordia University

The Design Studies Forum, in conjunction with Berg Publishers, announces
publication of the first issue of Design and Culture, a peer-reviewed
journal.  Design and Culture explores the dynamic, contingent relationships
between design and its many cultural contexts.

Free access to the journal's first issue is available at
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/berg/dgcj/2009/00000001/00000001

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Elizabeth Guffey, Editorial Introduction

Articles

Carma R. Gorman, "Religion on Demand: Faith-based Design"

Alice Twemlow, "I can't talk to you if you say that: An ideological
collision at the International Design Conference at Aspen, 1970"

Reconsidering

Johanna Drucker, "Philip Meggs and Richard Hollis: Models of Graphic Design
History"

In Memoriam

Will Straw, "The Music CD and Its Ends"

Dialogs

Guy Julier, Interview with Scott Lash and Celia Lury, "Value, Relationality
and Unfinished Objects"

Statement of Practice

Denise Gonzales Crisp, "Discourse This! Designers and Alternative Critical
Writing"

Exhibition Reviews

Melissa Buchanan on "Designing Modern: 1920 to the Present"

Grace Lees-Maffei on "Jean Prouvé - The Poetics of the Technical Object"

Andrea Renner on "Rococo: The Continuing Curve, 1730-2008"

Victoria Solan on "Figuration in Contemporary Design"

Book Reviews

Glenn Adamson on The Craftsman

Deborah Allison on Uncredited: Graphic Design & Opening Titles in Movies

Matt Ferranto on 79 Short Essays on Design

Beverly Gordon on Findings: The Material Culture of Needlework and Sewing

Elizabeth Hornbeck on Poiret

Kathleen James-Chakraborty on Selling Modernity: Advertising in
Twentieth-century Germany

Amy F. Ogata on A Manufactured Wilderness: Summer Camps and the Shaping of
American Youth, 1890-1960

J. R. Osborn on Arabesque: Graphic Design from the Arab World and Persia

Linda S. Phipps on Water-Works: The Architecture and Engineering of the New
York City Water Supply

David Raizman on Design and Art: Documents of Contemporary Art