Archive for publications, 2008

[ecrea] New book on online news production routines, based on ethnographic research

Mon Apr 28 15:29:26 GMT 2008

>New book on online news production routines, based on ethnographic research
>

>Those of you involved in online journalism research, teaching and
>practice can be interested in this collection of research to be
>published in May:
>
>Making Online News: The Ethnography of New Media Production
>Edited by Chris Paterson and David Domingo
>Publisher: Peter Lang
>
>It is an international insight into the working routines and values of
>online newsrooms based on ethnographic case studies. The book offers a
>critical perspective on the development of online journalism, a reality
>check that tries to look at the actual struggle to find their own
>identity and routines of web newsrooms, beyond the hype of buzzwords.
>
>Check the book website for a blog, chapter list and contributors bios:
>http://makingonlinenews.net
>Our intention in the site is to keep track of relevant and critical
>online journalism research.
>
>The book will be in stores on May and you can already pre-order it on
>Amazon --you will get a 5% discount!
>http://tinyurl.com/4ktmw5
>
>Book content:
>
>Foreword - Nora Paul
>Introduction: Why ethnography? - Chris Paterson
>
>PART ONE: Researching the Changing Nature of Media Production
>
>1. Inventing online journalism: a constructivist approach to the development
>of online news - David Domingo
>
>2. Ethnographic media production research in a digital environment - Roel
>Puijk
>
>PART TWO: New Media, New Routines?
>
>3. News production in an Irish online newsroom: practice, process and
>culture - Anthony Cawley
>
>4. Print and online newsrooms in Argentinean media: autonomy and
>professional identity
>Edgardo Pablo García
>
>5. News tuning and content management: An observation study of old and new
>routines in German online newsrooms - Thorsten Quandt
>
>6. Maximize the medium: assessing obstacles to performing multimedia
>journalism in three US newsrooms - Jody Brannon
>
>7. When immediacy rules: online journalism models in four Catalan online
>newsrooms - David Domingo
>
>8. Online Journalism in China: constrained by politics, spirited by public
>nationalism - Johan Lagerkvist
>
>9. Do online journalists belong in the newsroom? A Belgian case of
>convergence - Vinciane Colson and François Heinderyckx
>
>PART THREE: Reinventing Journalism?
>
>10. Ethnography of newsroom convergence - Jane B. Singer
>
>11. The active audience: transforming journalism from gatekeeping to
>gatewatching - Axel Bruns
>
>12. The routines of blogging - Wilson Lowrey and John Latta
>
>Epilogue: Toward a sociology of online news? - Mark Deuze

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/