[Commlist] CFP A True and Fair View: Communicative, Linguistic and Ethical Aspects of Expressing Point of View in Journalism

Sun May 01 10:28:09 GMT 2022

CALL FOR PAPERS

A True and Fair View:

Communicative, Linguistic and Ethical Aspects of Expressing Point of View in Journalism

8-9 December 2022

Fourth biennial conference of the Brussels Institute for Journalism Studies (BIJU)

The University Foundation, Brussels,Belgium

http://www.vub.ac.be/en/events/2020/fairview <http://www.vub.ac.be/en/events/2020/fairview>

*Please note that the conference is planned to be held in-person but that a hybrid format may be considered depending on the global situation of the pandemic closer to the conference date.*

Deadline for proposals: 30 June 2022

Please send a proposal of no more than 300 words (excluding selected references) together with your affiliation and a short biography (c. 100 words) to (fairview /at/ vub.be) <mailto:(fairview /at/ vub.be)>by 30 June 2022. Decisions will be announced by 15 July.

Plenary speakers

KARIN WAHL-JORGENSEN (Cardiff University, UK)

PETER R. R. WHITE (University of New South Wales, Australia)

After three successful small-scale, high-quality international conferences in 2014, 2016 and 2018, the Brussels Institute for Journalism Studies (BIJU) is now ready to launch its fourth call for papers. The topic for this year’s conference will be the expression of standpoint and viewpoint in journalism. As always, our conference is multidisciplinary. So, we invite scholars from different backgrounds like communication and media studies, linguistics, ethics, epistemology and political and social sciences to think about the modi operandi and the desirability of journalists expressing their standpoints and sharing their views.

We invite participants to engage in a critical discussion of point of view in journalism. Possible questions which can be addressed are: is it possible to define the ‘proper’ standpoint, is it possible to give a full account of a state of affairs, does the traditional journalistic method of including multiple sources guarantee balanced reporting, is interpretive or transparent journalism to be preferred over the traditional ‘neutralistic’ journalism, how can interpretive forms of journalism be meaningfully differentiated, measured and assessed, how does point of view relate to verification, assertion, and affirmation, how can stances and points of view be rendered linguistically and/or visually, is there a place for emotions in journalism, what are the ethical implications of expressing points of view in journalism?

Inspirational literature:

Wahl-Jorgensen, Karin (2019). Emotions, Media and Politics. Cambridge: Polity Press.

White, Peter R. R. (2020). The Putative Reader in Mass Media Persuasion: Stance, Argumentation and Ideology. Discourse and Communication (online soon).

We invite submissions from all relevant disciplinary backgrounds approaching topics including but certainly not limited to:

The objectivity norm / bias in news reporting

Interpretive journalism

Transparency in journalism

All forms of advocacy journalism

The position of point of view in non-Western models of journalism

Ethical aspects of the expression of opinion

Linguistic devices for neutralism

Plurivocity in news reporting

Appraisal and alignment

Point of view or the expression of ‘voice’ in visual communication

Fake news / Post-truth

Both qualitative and quantitative methodologies, and analyses at process, product/text, and/or audience level are welcome.

After the previous conferences, we have edited special issues of renowned journals and a book volume with an esteemed publisher bundling the most innovative papers presented. We will endeavour to do the same after this conference.

Junior researchers are warmly invited to participate.

The venue for the conference will be The University Foundation, Egmontstraat / Rue d'Egmont  11 - 1000 Brussel / Bruxelles: https://www.fondationuniversitaire.be/en <https://www.fondationuniversitaire.be/en>

Conference fee (including reception, lunches, coffee):

€ 150 (regular participants), € 75 (PhD students).

Dinner will be organized on Friday 9 December and charged separately.

Questions about any aspect of the conference should be addressed to (fairview /at/ vub.be)

Please check our website for regular updates

http://www.vub.ac.be/en/events/2020/fairview <http://www.vub.ac.be/en/events/2020/fairview>