Archive for calls, October 2021

[Commlist] Call for Chapter Proposals: Critical Essays on Critical Role

Tue Oct 12 08:06:43 GMT 2021

Call for Chapter Proposals: *Critical Essays on /Critical Role/* (Deadline Extension)

Christopher Stuart, (stuartc /at/ uncw.edu) <mailto:(stuartc /at/ uncw.edu)>; Lauren Woolbright, (woolbrightle /at/ alma.edu) <mailto:(woolbrightle /at/ alma.edu)>; T Passwater, (thomaspasswater /at/ vt.edu) <mailto:(thomaspasswater /at/ vt.edu)>

Call Site: criticalrole.christuart.com

We seek proposals for an edited collection entitled *How Do We Want To Do This?: Critical Essays on /Critical Role/* We anticipate accepting work from a wide range of fields and perspectives from topics of gender expression to marketing communication on the cultural sensation that is /Critical Role/. Contributors to the collection will analyze /Critical Role/ as a brand, company, and/or media production.

/Critical Role/ is a creator-owned American web series-turned-brand helmed by famous voice actor Mathew Mercer. The show features a group of professional voice actors—and friends—playing Dungeons & Dragons together. This live-streamed show airing every Thursday night boasts an audience of millions worldwide, even with a runtime averaging around four hours. The show mixes long-form campaigns of over 100 episodes with individual one-shots and short, multi-episode campaigns. Originally airing on Felicia Day’s hub for all things geek, Geek and Sundry, the show quickly grew into its own company, Critical Role Productions, which not only produces /Critical Role/, but other creative programming and licensed products that extend from Dungeons & Dragons merchandise to a Kickstarter record-setting animated series, which is set to air on Amazon Prime. They have also produced campaign setting books, board games, and even created their own charity organization, in addition to their many philanthropic partnerships.

/Topics of Interest/

We invite creative pieces, ethnographies, and short narratives alongside our critical academic pieces. Please see guidelines below for submission details. We envision dividing the volume into the following sections, though we will consider essays on any topic related to /Critical Role/ and its impact:

*Proposed Section Titles:*

·State of the Role (marketing communication)

·Don’t Forget to Love Each Other (audience, inclusion)

·The Matt Mercer Effect (D&D, DMing, play)

·The World of Exandria (merch, publishing, game design)

We are interested in interdisciplinary, critical, scholarly essays, critical personal narratives and reflections, and counterstories that touch on a broad range of perspectives, including examinations of:

·The content of /Critical Role/, its narrative, gameplay and mechanics, and relationship to D&D

·/Critical Role/ as a company and a brand, its partnerships and collaborations, charity efforts, merchandising, etc.

·Media platforms for /Critical Role/ content (such as Twitch, YouTube, Twitter, and critrole.com) and how these spaces shape the content, its circulation, the participation of its fan communities

·/Critical Role/’s official social media presence or Critter social media spaces

·Contributions of the /Critical Role/ fan community—cosplay, fan art, GIFs, personal narratives, and convention events as well as the fanbase’s social media norms and interactions

·How /Critical Role/ as a company and a narrative grapples with representations of race, including within the narrative of /Critical Role/, the changing mechanics of Dungeons & Dragons, and how such issues are handled by the company and the fan communities

·Representations of gender, sexuality, and relationships associated with /Critical Role/ as a company, as a narrative, as a group of friends, and within its fan communities

/Submission Guidelines/

Please submit abstracts for articles or images, concept art, and detailed outlines for personal narratives of no more than 500 words to woolbrightle [at] alma [dot] edu with the *subject heading*: Submission for Critical Role Edited Collection.

*Abstract/Concept submission: October 25!*

*Submission Email:* woolbrightle [at] alma [dot] edu

If accepted, final submissions may take the form of:

·Cosplays or Photos paired with brief narrative essays up to 300 words

·Personal/Reflective essays and ethnographies of up to 1,500 words

·Critical essays of up to 6,000 words

*We will require ownership verification for all images.