Archive for calls, December 2018

[ecrea] CFP - The 20th Annual Convention of the Media Ecology Association - Media Ethics: Human Ecology in a Connected World

Sun Dec 02 06:28:20 GMT 2018

Deadline for submission: extended to JANUARY 15, 2019

The Media Ecology Association invites paper and panel proposals for presentation at its 20th Annual Convention, taking place on 27-30 June 2019 in Toronto.

We welcome submissions that encompass the broad array of disciplines focusing on the study of media as environments, technology and techniques, modes of information, and symbolic codes of communication that constitute media ecology.

We also invite submissions exploring this year’s theme “Media Ethics. Human Ecology in a Connected World”.

In our current hyper-connected era, information and communication technologies are increasingly forming the infrastructure of a new digital human ecosystem which is larger and quicker to evolve than any prior. This continually transforming and evolving planetary habitat connects all of humanity into, what Marshall McLuhan’s prescient mind termed, a “Global Village”.

Technology and new media’s impact on this ecosystem has a profound effect on every aspect of the human ethos – self-expression, education, values, beliefs, needs, livelihood, enjoyment – and society at large. Over the past few years, these emerging technologies and unforeseen digital media practices have also given rise to ethical issues, political and societal questions of critical importance to our evolving future.

The countless unintended implications – current or potential – of today’s rapid technological developments have largely come from socio-technical systems and emerging digital, robotic, artificially intelligent, or biomedical technologies. These advances have led to an unprecedented need for new ethical perspectives and frameworks to underpin the building blocks of our new digital ecosystem.

General areas of interest related to this year’s theme include, but are not limited to, the following topics:

     Artificial intelligence and machine learning
     Internet of things
     Robotics and automation
     Bioengineering
     Virtual/augmented reality
    Data ethics, privacy, surveillance, cyber security, and data protection
     Big data and cloud computing
     Social media algorithms
     Internet policy
     Misinformation on social media
     Propaganda, censorship, and free speech
     Net Neutrality, openness, and digital inclusion
     Media integrity in journalism, advertising, public relations
     Digital citizenship, social and political engagement
     Entertainment media, digital and media arts
     Digital literacy and media pedagogy
    Civil discourse, human dignity, diversity, and individual expression in the media ecosystem
     Wellbeing sustainability and prosperity in the media environment
    Innovative interpretations and new ethical perspectives emanating from the Media Ecology intellectual tradition

For submissions and other information please see the convention website: http://mediaethics.ca/