Archive for calls, September 2018

[ecrea] CfP Big Data AI and Robotics

Wed Sep 12 13:48:47 GMT 2018

*Special issue on:****Big Data, AI and Digital Futures: Challenges, changes and continuities*

*Call for papers***

We invite contributions to a Special Issue on Big Data, AI and Digital Futures: Challenges, changes and continuities, to be published by the AI & Society Journal of Culture, Knowledge and Communication (Springer)
http://link.springer.com/journal/146.

This special issue arises from the Big Data, AI and Robotics (BDAIR 18) Research Symposium at the De Montfort University (DMU). The main objective of this special issue is to encourage cross-disciplinary, interdisciplinary research and international research collaboration.

=============================

SPECIAL ISSUE THEMES

=============================

*Aims:***The aim of this special issue is to address the societal complex issues emerging from the recent advances in AI. As we look for answers to address new challenges, we look at the impact of AI and big data on our futures in the context of society.

*Content*

How might algorithms and big data shape our digital futures? In what ways can the semantic web impact our everyday life? Are there ways of envisioning a structure for managing data in a meaningful way, which may offer a transformational experience?

We are witnessing a shift in political, social, cultural and technical relations which are increasingly driven by big data and algorithms. Our external environment is being codified leading to an increased level of surveillance both at personal and professional levels. This in itself is a challenge to privacy and data protection. We are already experiencing self-monitoring and tracking with the devices we wear that prompt us to engage in certain behaviours. Are we far from a day when technology will induce behavioural changes, not only at cognitive level but also at conative levels? What for claims that Big Data will make theory redundant? What ontological and epistemological issues arise in relation to these technologies? Our thoughts, emotions and actions are increasingly getting interpellated by algorithms and data. How does that then impact on the ‘Logos-Pathos-Ethos’ of our lives? Sophia bot froze on the question of corruption in Ukraine. On the other hand, we witnessed “the great British Brexit robbery” (Guardian, 2017) that proved whoever owns the data actually wins the campaign, election and the world. Cambridge Analytics Brexit has been one of the popular searches on the internet. At the same time, big data pose challenges as they generate noise and that means data often can be indecipherable, bewildering and recherché. Disruptions are common when we deal with data in any subject area. Therefore, it is cardinal to address the technological complexity, not only through academic research, scholarship and pedagogic practice but also industry engagement. On the other hand, big data and algorithms embed innovation and we encounter technologies in a transformational way, where conversations and dialogic interventions are rapid. Perhaps due to the contrasting ways in which we engage with big data and algorithms, the need for well-defined theoretical frameworks and methodological tools are increasingly in demand Siapera, 2018).

*Readership*

National and International

We will invite experts both nationally and internationally to contribute to this special issue

*Goal*

Our goal is to offer an interdisciplinary coverage of the area explored, by bringing together perspectives from different domains such as computer science, design studies, business, cultural anthropology, arts and humanities and social sciences. In particular, we welcome contributions that explore the following themes:

*Themes*

Topics include, but are not limited to, the following:

  *   Media datafication and       neoliberalism
  * Data and business
  * Social media and big data
  * Big data, PR and Advertising
  * Big data and politics
  * Ethics, privacy and technology
  *   Data and sustainability
  * Personalisation, Machine learning and AI
  * Social bots and the management of sociality

  * Quantified self and data cultures
  * Data and education
  * Researching media and culture using data methods
  * Data visualisation, art and design
  * Social responsibility and innovation
  * Data and health
  * Mobile and locative media
  * Data and surveillance
  * Using Big Data to test social theories
  * Social data collection and novelty

=============================

CONTRIBUTION TYPES

=============================

We welcome contributions across two formats:

- Original Papers: contribute original thinking underpinned by carefully laid out conceptual, methodological or philosophical premises. Within this category, we welcome papers on novel technologies and applications, design or evaluation methods, case studies on existing applications and systems, evaluation studies, and conceptual papers that bring a substantial contribution to advancing knowledge on the aforementioned topics. Original papers mainly address the academic community and future-looking practitioners in the industry. These papers are double-blind peer-reviewed by two reviewers and the editorial team.

- Open Forum contributions: may include discussion papers, case study articles, work in progress papers, opinion forming and opinionated articles, and articles on emerging and non-established research. They address academic and industrial communities, but equally the average reader, and should be written in a style which makes them accessible and comprehensible for these various audiences. Papers for the Open Forum will be double-blind peer-reviewed by one reviewer and the editorial team. These papers are the best format for putting forth controversial or thought-provoking ideas relating to communities, culture and ICTs.

=============================

ABOUT THE AI & SOCIETY JOURNAL

=============================

AI & Society is an International Journal which publishes refereed scholarly articles, position papers, debates, short communications and reviews. Established in 1987, the journal focuses on the issues of policy, design, applications of information, communications and new media technologies, with a particular emphasis on cultural, social, cognitive, economic, ethical and philosophical implications. AI & Society is broad-based and strongly interdisciplinary. It provides an international forum for 'over the horizon' analysis of the gaps and possibilities of rapidly evolving 'knowledge society', with a humanistic vision of society, culture and technology.

=============================

IMPORTANT DATES

=============================

- Expression of interest:August 15, 2018 September 28, 2018

- Manuscript submission: December 15, 2018

- Notifications: January 28, 2019

- Submission final versions: April 28, 2019

- Target publication date: June  2019

=============================

SUBMISSION FORMATTING

Interested candidates are asked to submit a paper between 10 and 25 pages in the AI & Society’s manuscript format. You can find more information about formatting under the section "Instructions for Authors"_http://www.springer.com/computer/ai/journal/146_.

For inquiries and abstract, please email to:(_bigdatadigitalfutures /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(bigdatadigitalfutures /at/ gmail.com)>_

To submit your manuscript, please log in to https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=bdaidf18

SPECIAL ISSUE EDITORS

-Dr Indrani Lahiri, Leicester Media School,Faculty of Technology,De Montfort University

- Dr Simon Mills, Leicester Media School,Faculty of Technology,De Montfort University

- Dr Aladdin Ayesh,School of Computer Science and Informatics, Faculty of Technology, De Montfort University