Archive for calls, May 2018

[ecrea] Job Call; CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College: Instructor, Assistant, Associate or Full Professor; Communication Studies

Mon Apr 30 22:03:06 GMT 2018

Post: Job Call; CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College:

FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT

The Speech, Communication, and Theatre Arts Department at the Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC) invites applications for an Instructor, Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor position starting in Fall 2018.

Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC) is a vibrant, pluralistic learning community committed to the intellectual and personal growth of students. With enrollment of nearly 27,000 students, BMCC is the largest of the 24 institutions comprising The City University of New York (CUNY). The College is strategically located in downtown Manhattan in close proximity to the artistic communities of Tribeca and SoHo, the dynamic downtown financial district, and the center of New York City government at City Hall. BMCC prides itself on the diversity of our students: over 41% are Hispanic, over 30% are Black or African American, over 30% were born outside the US, and they represent more than 160 countries of origin with over 115 languages spoken. We are an inclusive community that promotes an atmosphere of mutual respect of each member's ethnicity, gender, age, disability, religion, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity and national origin, among other personal characteristics. Collectively we share a belief in the transformative power of education to further the intellectual, economic, and social vitality of individuals and communities-and in the role of community colleges in advancing equity and social justice. BMCC's motto speaks to this common sense of purpose and possibility: Start Here, Go Anywhere. As we strive to make BMCC the very best it can be- a leading community college nationwide- we are dedicated to building a diverse and talented faculty that is committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service within our multicultural and international environment.

The Speech, Communication, and Theatre Arts Department is undergoing a process of growth and renewal and would like to attract new faculty that will share and contribute to this process through teaching, research and guidance in area of Communication Studies. They will share responsibility for committee and department assignments including administrative, supervisory, and other functions for the good of the institution.

The Speech, Communication, and Theatre Arts Department faculty teach in the classroom, hybrid, and fully online courses. The Department offers over 200 sections of the basic public speaking course every semester for native speakers of English as well as a large body of speakers of English as a second language. The department operates a Speech Laboratory-Derfner Foundation Communication Center. The department also offers upper-level courses in the Communication Studies major that include: Introduction to Communication, The Mass Media; Intercultural Communication; Interpersonal Communication; Conflict Resolution; Gender and Communication; Small Group Communication; Advanced Public Speaking, Oral Interpretation, and Voice and Articulation. The major in Communication Studies has 430 majors. In anticipation of further growth and to enhance our articulation with senior colleges, we expect Communication faculty to help the department develop new courses and areas of concentration. The new faculty member will be expected to teach the basic speech course as well as some upper-level courses. Research and publication are expected for tenure and promotion. Other areas of responsibility include curriculum development, participation in departmental and college-wide activities and committees, such as grant writing, assessment, faculty development, mentoring student projects, and academic advisement.

The qualified candidate must be able to work in either the Day or Evening/Weekend program, as needed by the Department.

QUALIFICATIONS

For Assistant, Associate or Full Professor:

The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in Communication studies or related area, to complement those already represented in our department. Appropriate areas include: Organizational Communication, Rhetoric, Communication Education, Interpersonal Communication, Mediation and Dispute Resolution, Political Communication, Intercultural Communication, Health Communication, Environmental Communication, Public Speaking, Public Relations, Digital Communication, Media Studies, and Speech Communication. Experience teaching non-traditional urban college students preferred, knowledge of pronunciation and articulation pedagogy and software, and experience with teaching and learning technologies preferred. Evening/weekend schedule may be required.

For Assistant, Associate or Full Professor, candidate must have a record of significant achievement in the field. Three years college teaching experience preferred.

For Instructor:

Master's degree in one of the major areas of the in Communication studies or related area, and active progress towards a Doctorate required. Also required are the ability to teach successfully, an interest in productive scholarship or achievement, and ability to cooperate with others for the good of the college. Persons appointed in the instructor title are only eligible for five (5) annual appointments. Appointments to a professorial title subsequent to service as an instructor will only be considered if the candidate has obtained the qualifications for professorial ranks as stated above. Instructors with ABD preferred. Further, experience with teaching and learning technologies preferred. Experience teaching non-traditional urban college students preferred, knowledge of pronunciation and articulation pedagogy and software, and experience with teaching and learning technologies preferred. Evening/weekend schedule may be required.

City University of New York and BMCC expect faculty to have a real passion for teaching and engage in scholarship and research in their fields. Ideal candidates for the faculty positions would have an established research agenda and be able to take advantage of the bountiful academic resources and institutions available within the metropolitan New York area and research opportunities within the City University of New York. Significant research release time is available to junior faculty, and peer-refereed publications are a necessary component for tenure and promotion.

Candidates short listed for interviews would be expected to conduct a brief teaching presentation.

COMPENSATION

CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.

HOW TO APPLY

From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title.

Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.

CLOSING DATE

May 29, 2018

JOB SEARCH CATEGORY

CUNY Job Posting: Faculty

EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.

/Job Title:/Instructor, Assistant, Associate or Full Professor; Communication Studies (Speech, Communication, and Theatre Arts Department); Fall 2018

/Job ID:/18693

/Location:/Borough of Manhattan CC

/Full/Part Time:/Full-Time

/Regular/Temporary:/Regular