[ecrea] Symposium on The Handmaid's Tale (2017) at The University of Worcester

Sat Sep 09 21:27:57 GMT 2017

You are warmly invited to attend /The Handmaid’s Tale: Gender, Genre, Adaptation/, a two day symposium on the 2017 Hulu series /The Handmaid’s Tale/.

The event is being held at the Charles Hasting Building, The University of Worcester, on the 30^th September and 1^st October 2017.

Papers relate to all areas of media, film and television studies. The programme is detailed below.

Please email Dr Mikel Koven on (m.koven /at/ worc.ac.uk) <mailto:(m.koven /at/ worc.ac.uk)> for more information.

*Saturday, 30 September, Charles Hastings Building, Room 2003*

09:30 – 10:00: Welcome

10:00 – 12:00: Panel 1: TV Studies, Chair:

Julia Havas, “’See Netflix? We have one too!’: Identity Politics as Branding Strategy in Hulu’s /The Handmaid’s Tale/”

Scott Henderson, “Feminism Meets Neo-Liberalism: The Complex Quality Television Narratives of /Top of the Lake/ and /The Handmaid’s Tale/.”

Gaurika Kapoor, “[Awaiting title]”

12:00 – 13:00: Lunch

13:00 – 15:00: Panel 2: Sound & Language, Chair:

Leanne Weston, “Sound Affects: Music and Meaning in /The Handmaid’s Tale/.”

Deirdre Flynn, “’… and I did not speak out’: The Importance of Silence in /The Handmaid’s Tale/.”

Silvia Storti, “The Re(d)Dress of Thought: Language in /The Handmaid’s Tale./”

15:00 – 15:30: Coffee Break

15:30 – 17:30: Panel 3: Adaptation

David Sweeney, “’I wish this story were different. I wish it were more civilized’: A Comparative Analysis of /The Handmaid’s Tale/ and /The Ballad of Halo Jones/”.

Gil Jamieson, “’Maybe boredom is erotic’: The Portrayal of Sex in /The Handmaid’s Tale/.”

Donna Peberdy, “’You can’t help what you feel, but you can help how you behave’: Sex, Performance and Touch in /The Handmaid’s Tale/”

*Sunday, 1 October, Charles Hastings Building G009*

10:00 – 12:00: Panel 4: Race

Indiana Seresin, “Red, White, and Black: /The Handmaid’s Tale/ as Aesthetic Fantasy”.

Meghan Gilbert-Hickey, “Nostalgia, Colorblindness, and the Idealized Mother in Hulu’s /The Handmaid’s Tale/”.

Miranda Green-Barteet, “Power & Race: Colorblind Ideology in /The Handmaid’s Tale/”.

12:00 – 13:00: Lunch

13:00 – 15:00: Panel 5: Alternative Approaches

Pamela Flanagan, “/The Handmaid’s Tale/: The Subtlety of Gender in the Interior”.

Chloe Harrison, “Reading Offred on Screen: A Cognitive Stylistic and Multimodal Analysis of Hulu’s Adaptation of /The Handmaid’s Tale/.

15:00 – 15:30: Coffee Break

15:30 – 17:30: Panel 6: Politics

Kirsten Stoddart, “The Thin Red Veil: /The Handmaid’s Tale/ as a call-to-arms by Women Writers”.

Linnie Blake, “A Bourgeois Liberal Paradise Lost: /The Handmaid’s Tale/”.