[ecrea] call for abstracts for the visual sociology stream at the ISA world congress

Sat Sep 09 21:27:45 GMT 2017

RC57 Visual Sociology
Call for papers -

Session 1: "Social Research and Multiple Modalities: Epistemic Opportunities, Challenges and Barriers in Addressing Social Complexity"

This session will examine the epistemic, analytic and methodological affordances and limitations of engaging with multiple modalities when doing social research (such as written, oral, visual, photographic and multimedia modalities). Social science researchers work in contexts where participants use multiple means to produce and communicate meanings and viewpoints. Research participants produce oral and written utterances, images, music, artifacts, and performances, which assume a variety of forms and distinctive materiality. We are often called on to critically examine these multiple modes of communication as contextually participating in broader discourses. To do so, we need to take a transdisciplinary approach, draw on tools offered in a variety of disciplines and be able to move across disciplinary boundaries. This kind of endeavour requires collaborative research approaches.

This session invites papers that explore one or more aspects of how we, as researchers, produce knowledge when engaging multiple modalities in our data collection and record keeping practices. We are particularly interested in discussing: i) how we produce fieldnotes or records via multitextual/multiple registers; ii) what kinds of obstacles and opportunities researchers face when recording, organising and analysing different sorts of communicative “data”; iii) what kinds of analytic trajectories researchers have followed to interpret their multitextual fieldnotes or records; iv) what epistemic and theoretical opportunities this kind of data collection has to offer; and v) the relationships between multiple modalities created through their integration in research.

Session1 Organizers:

Ana Inés HERAS, CEDESI-UNSAM- CONICET and INCLUIR - Instituto para la Inclusión Social, Argentina, (herasmonnersans /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(herasmonnersans /at/ gmail.com)>,

Carolina CAMBRE, Concordia University, Canada, (mcambre /at/ ualberta.ca) <mailto:(mcambre /at/ ualberta.ca)>

Analía Inés MEO, CONICET- UBA, Argentina, (analiameo /at/ conicet.gov.ar) <mailto:(analiameo /at/ conicet.gov.ar)>

*Session 2: Visual Methods in “the Posts, Post-Posts and Neo-Posts”: Representation, Non-Representationalism, and Social Justice Research *

Gillian Rose (2016) argues that although there has been a great deal of cross-disciplinary theoretical study of visuals, visuality, visual economies, and affective, embodied, and structured dimensions of visuals, it remains the case that the field of visual research methods has not yet fully engaged with some key methodological, epistemological, and ontological debates. This session seeks to engage these debates in visual sociology and visual methodologies. We invite papers that combine a focus on social justice, conceptually and/or empirically and on visual research practices through the kaleidoscopes of what Patti Lather calls “the posts, post-posts and neo-posts”; this is a widening terrain that can include, in diverse ways and varied combinations: relational ontologies, performativity, posthumanism, non-representational theory and methods, the vitality of matter, and entanglements between politics, ethics, epistemologies, and ontologies. Some methodological approaches that may fall under this expanding tent include, among many others: praxiographic, post qualitative, diffractive methodologies, Indigenous and decolonizing methodologies, non-representational ethnographies as well as research informed by agential realism, ecological thinking, and/or new materialisms. We invite papers that focus on field research, theoretical exploration, or reflective pieces that engage with the tensions between representation and nonrepresentationalism in visual social justice research.

Session2 Organizers:

Andrea Doucet, Brock University, Canada Research Chair, (andreadoucet /at/ mac.com) <mailto:(andreadoucet /at/ mac.com)>

Carolina CAMBRE, Concordia University, Canada, (mcambre /at/ ualberta.ca) <mailto:(mcambre /at/ ualberta.ca)>

Abstract 300 words in English, French or Spanish. For more information on how to submit an abstract http://www.isa-sociology.org/en/conferences/world-congress/toronto-2018/call-for-abstracts/ <http://www.isa-sociology.org/en/conferences/world-congress/toronto-2018/call-for-abstracts/>

KEY DEADLINES

        April 25 – 30 September 2017 24:00 GMT

  *

    Abstracts submission: Participants must submit abstracts on-line via
    Confex platform. Abstracts must be submitted in English, French or
    Spanish. Only abstracts submitted on-line will be considered in the
    selection process.

        November 30, 2017 24:00 GMT

  *

    Notification letters:  Confex sends notification letters to authors
    and co-authors of accepted or rejected abstracts

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION

https://isaconf.confex.com/isaconf/wc2018/webprogrampreliminary/Session10353.html <https://isaconf.confex.com/isaconf/wc2018/webprogrampreliminary/Session10353.html>

GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE CONFERENCE

http://www.isa-sociology.org/en/conferences/world-congress/toronto-2018/ <http://www.isa-sociology.org/en/conferences/world-congress/toronto-2018/>