[ecrea] CFP: Reporting Poverty: Media Conference

Sat Dec 10 10:00:06 GMT 2016

CALL FOR PAPERS

Reporting Poverty: Media Conference

Journalism Department, Liverpool John Moores University, May 5

Closing date for proposals: February 10, 2017

Papers are invited for a one-day conference on the theme of reporting poverty in the media. We welcome paper proposals on press, radio, television, film, and new media of all nationalities, shedding new light on the reporting of poverty.

Themes to explore might include (but are not limited to):

Representation
Construction of identity
Social Justice
Propaganda
Protest
Austerity
Nostalgia
Digital division
Media as political and social discourse

Proposals for papers should be sent to Rachel Broady
(r.s.broady /at/ ljmu.ac.uk)<mailto:(r.s.broady /at/ ljmu.ac.uk)>

Please include an abstract of no more than 300 words and a cover sheet with a brief biographical note, your institutional affiliation (where relevant) and your contact details (including your email address).

We anticipate sessions of 90 minutes (20 minutes per paper plus 30 minutes of questions / discussion).

Closing date for proposals:  Feb 10, 2017

You will be notified of the acceptance of your paper by Feb 24, 2017.

In order to encourage a wide-range of papers, there will be no conference fee and lunch will be provided.

Jackie Newton
Programme Leader, Journalism
Liverpool Screen School,
Liverpool John Moores University