[ecrea] Call for lesson plans for Teaching Media Quarterly

Tue Nov 08 13:27:08 GMT 2016

Teaching Media Quarterly, and open access journal of lesson plans for the media studies classroom is currently seeking submissions for the forthcoming issue “Difficult Discussions: Controversy, Triggers and Inclusivity in the Media Studies Classroom”:

Recent conversations about the uses and misuses of trigger warnings in academia, and the re-emergence of accusations of “political correctness” have once again pointed out the complex role of instructors. As instructors, we provoke and challenge our students, and at the same time nurture their intellectual development. In the context of this seeming contradiction, the media studies classroom can be an especially fraught location for working through difficult questions about power and pleasure, subjectivity and identity, culture and politics.

For our upcoming issue, the editors of Teaching Media Quarterly seek lesson plans that demonstrate some of the ways media studies instructors have approached potentially explosive or painful conversations in their classrooms. What classroom activities have you used to help student think and talk through potentially upsetting material in ways that at once push them to engage critically, while at the same time maintaining an inclusive, respectful environment, especially for students from historically marginalized groups? How have you leveraged the safer space of our classrooms to explore painful subjects? How have you supported your students as they questions their relationship to media while pushing them to ask sometimes difficult questions about their own role in systems of power?

We are open to a variety of approaches and topic areas, but remind contributors that lesson plans should be specific to the media studies classroom.

Some possible areas of exploration might include:

  * Racism and white supremacy
  * Toxic masculinity, misogyny, feminism and postfeminism
  * Class, money, economic philosophies and policies
  * Critiques of empire and anti-Americanism
  * Controversies within academia, such as the sexual violence epidemic,
    student debt, or neo-liberal labor practices
  * Electoral politics
  * Social movements and protest
  * Bodies and biopolitics
  * Sexuality and gender identity

Lesson plan submissions are due January 1, 2017. More information including submission guidelines can be found at
teachingmedia.org <http://teachingmedia.org>